commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Ronald Gilbert MBE No 10(IA) Cdo 3 troop  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we advise you of the death on the 5th May 2014 of Ronnie Gilbert MBE. Our condolences to his great nephew CVA member Rob Greenslade, and all family and friends.

Ronnie Gilbert, who died on 5 May 2014 in Blackpool, at the age of 94, was born Hans-Julius Guttmann in Singen, Germany on 28 September 1919. A member of the Jewish faith, he fled to the UK just before the outbreak of war and joined the Pioneer Corps, later transferring to the Royal Marines, where he served with 3 (or X) Troop 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando. He took part in a number of skirmishes in Northern France and in August 1944 he was hit in the leg during a fire-fight with an enemy patrol in Grande Ferme du Boisson. After the capitulation, Ronnie transferred to the Intelligence Corps in Germany where he took part in a number of undercover operations to arrest former Nazis. Shortly after, he was transferred to the Commando Intelligence Team in Essen, Germany, where his duties included, once more, arresting high-ranking Nazis and the heads of industry. After demobilisation, on 28 June 1947, he joined the British Intelligence Organisation (Germany) and was employed as the Head of Station in Düsseldorf where he liaised with the politicians, police forces and intelligence and security agencies of North-Rhine Westphalia, until his retirement. He was awarded the MBE for these services. This quite extra-ordinary and colourful character will be missed by all who knew him and especially his two boys and extended family!

Rest in peace Ronnie
[Thumb - Ronnie Gilbert.jpg]
 Filename Ronnie Gilbert.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo courtesy of his great nephew Robert Greenslade
 Filesize 722 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  681 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 29/05/2014 15:42:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The men who served in X Troop, No10 (IA) Commando were, undoubtably, the bravest of the brave. They knew that capture by the enemy would lead to vicious torture and certain death.

When Shall Their Glory Fade...

Rest in Eternal Peace Ronnie

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Garrett
Forum Member

Hello
I'm a history professor writing a book on the X Troop and Ron Gilbert will be a central figure in my book. If by any chance you have any primary sources of Gilbert's (photos, memoirs, letters) that I could use for my book could yo please contact me: [email protected]. Thank you, Leah Garrett

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger