commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
List of Instructors at the Commando Training Depot - July 1942  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
cnmj5196
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I would very much appreciate any assistance in completing my listing of instructors who trained the 1st Ranger Battalion at and around Achnacarry, Scotland during July 1942. It is my understanding that (1) officer and (2) sergeants were assigned to each of the (6) Ranger companies (Co. "A" thru Co. "F", plus HQ Co.).

I would like to pay honor to the men who trained the 1st Ranger Battalion by including their names in my research. I have a listing of "believed" names below. I would estimate, I still need the names/assignments of several officers and about a dozen sergeants. Please contact me to make any additions, confirmations, corrections, and edits to the names on the list. I would also like to know to which Ranger company each was assigned. Any scans of original documents would be appreciated.

Officer Instrutors
Lt. Col. Vaughan, Charles E. - Commanding Officer of the Commando Basic Training Center
Capt. Gilchrist, Donald - Supervised day-to-day operations
Lt. Cowieson, Alick - Trained Co. "F"
Lt. Whitfield, [...] - Trained Co. "A"

NCO Instructors
Sgt. Bellringer, Roy - Unknown Assignment
Sgt. Bissell, Stan - Uknown Assignment
Sgt. Blint, [...] - Trained Co. "F"
Sgt. Brown, [...] - Trained Co. "F"
Sgt. Edwards, James "Taffy" - Uknown Assignment
Sgt. Frickleton, A.M. - Unknown Assignment
Sgt. Major McCaughan, [...] - Trained Co. "A"
Sgt. Moon, [...] - Unknown Assignment

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/04/2014 04:14:03

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

cnmj5196 wrote:
Lt. Col. Vaughan, Charles E. - Commando of the Commando Training Depot

Hi Craig,
I'm sure it just a typing error but the entry for Lt Col Vaughan should read 'Commanding Officer of the Commando Basic Training Centre'.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
cnmj5196
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick,

Thanks for the correction. As a detail person I hate missing details. While I proofed and edited the message, I did so quickly. I still read the words that were in my mind, rather than those displayed on the screen.

Take Care,

Craig
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Craig

Our website has a fair bit of information on these men which I will add here for reference, with more to be added soon on Sgt Bissell. Here are a few links:

CSMI A. M. Frickleton and his team of Physical Training Instructors Sgt Bissell and Sgt Bellringer. They also delivered Unarmed/Close Combat training

Sgt Roy Bellringer, former No 2 Cdo and one of the few that got back from the St Nazaire raid (Op Chariot) excellent wrestler and boxer PTI and Instructor in unarmed/close combat.

Sgt Stan Bissell Police Intake, excellent wrestler, PTI, instructor in unarmed/close combat (more detail and information on Sgt Bissell is expected soon);

CSM 'Ossie' Moon was the 'head cook' at the CBTC and Instructor in survival techniques and how to live off the land (ref. Castle Commando by author Donald Gilchrist);

The Sgt Major McCaughan should be Pipe Major T.A. Maclauchlan who was in charge of the CBTC pipe and drums band which doubled as the Demonstration Troop used by all the Instructors when giving lessons;

Mention should be given of the RSM at the CBTC when the Rangers were there, RSM Jimmy James, and Lt Jim Keigwin who was i/c of Boat Training at the time

As I am sure you know we have photos of Sgt Blint and Brown but no specifics as to what they did other than NCO Instructors at the CBTC:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Commando+Training/sgt+blint+and+others.jpg.html

If you use any of the above photos in any article/website please credit where you obtained them from.

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 03/04/2014 14:13:14

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Roy Bellringer ran the Pengwern Arms in Llan Ffestiniog, for a fair many years in the late 60s early 70s, not much trouble there on a Friday, Saturday evenings I can tell you. And then the Rectory at Maentwrog for a short time. It was said locally that on one mission he was the last man to be picked up by an MTB which had thrown a rope out to him as he swam seawards and was dragged out to sea for some distance before boarding. He and dad shared a few wartime stories when the met up.
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/04/2014 20:17:53

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin,
Kevin wrote:Roy Bellringer was the last man to be picked up by an MTB which had thrown a rope out to him as he swam seawards and was dragged out to sea for some distance before boarding.

I have read of this in more than one account - I'll see if I can find it again...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick, l didn't want to go into too much details as I did not want to jump this thread. What I heard was that Roy had been on a raid and returned early after ompleting his mission, his CO asked if he would return and do a bit of extras? That's why he was late returning, also Roy had a heavy stutter/stammer ( when he ran the Pengwern Arms he had a parrot by the bar and it would imitate Roy, stammer and all when the locals rang the bar bell and Roy was not in sight) and allegedly this was due to the salt water he had swallowed when he was dragged out to sea, but this is only conjecture.
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/04/2014 18:16:21

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger