Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 02/12/2007 12:24:31
Messages: 396
Offline

Surrey is a long way from here, and I would not be able to visit due to the distance. If a member on this site has the time, who lives nearer, and has an interest in this topic and would be able to visit on my behalf I would be obliged.

Kevin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "History Centre Surrey" <[email protected]>
Date: 14 Mar 2014 17:07
Subject: 204 Mission

Mr Kevin O?Marah

Our ref: Surrey Heritage/LS/821/14
Your ref:

Dear Mr O?Marah

204 MISSION

Thank you for your e-mail of 25 February concerning the 402 Mission

A search has been made in our collections catalogue, http://www.surreyarchives.org.uk/Calmview, for references to the mission and the following items have been found,

Photograph, '204 Mission to China. Entering China at Frontier Post on Burma Road, 1942', reference no. ESR/3/13/16/p21/1

Photograph, '204 Mission to China. The Kweiyang area of the Burma Road', 1942, ref. no. ESR/3/13/16/p21/2

Photograph, '204 Mission to China Group on Burma Road including Sgt Evans and Cpl Dare' [a group of 9 soldiers], 1942 ref. No. ESR/3/13/16/p21/3

Photograph, '204 Mission to China. The Kweiyang area of the Burma Road' [group of Chinese], 1942, ref no. ESR/3/13/16/p21/4

Photograph, '204 Mission to China' [outside HQ], ref no. ESR/3/13/16/p22/1

Photograph, '204 Mission brewing up, Sgt Evans 2nd on left. Pte Phillips 2nd on right', ESR/3/13/16/p22/2

[Untitled - a map showing the route '204 Mission took], nd [c.1980s] ESR/3/13/16/p23/1

[Untitled - an explanation of the formation and purpose of '204 Mission, nd [c.1980s], ESR/3/13/16/p23/2

Copy (undated) of a photograph of soldiers in the back of an army lorry, caption 'unit truck '204 Mission at frontier', 1942, ESR/3/14/5/28

There might be other references within the regimental archives relating to the mission, but not directly referred to.

I also checked our articles? database to see if there was any references to the mission in the Regimental magazines, but without success.

Unfortunately I cannot say whether ESR/3/13/16/p23/1-2 are the items that were produced by Bob English.

We received a large quantity of records from the Surrey Infantry Museum at Clandon, and other individuals, which relate to the Queen?s and East Surrey Regiments, which might include other references to the mission. For our online catalogue of these records see our website page, http://www.surreyarchives.org.uk/Calmview/ and type in the regiment you are looking for. Alternatively the Exploring Surrey?s Past website, http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/subjects/military/summary_of_the_arrangement_of_the_records_of_the_queens_royal_surrey_regiment, has additional information on our holdings.

You are welcome to visit us to consult the regimental archives. Details about our services, facilities and the resources we hold for Surrey?s history will be found on our website, http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistorycentre. If you do decide to visit and you do not possess a Surrey Library Card or County Archive Research Network (CARN) ticket, you will need to bring some means of identification with you that shows your name and address (driving licence, utilities bill, etc) so that we may issue you with a reader?s ticket. Please note that pens, coats and bags are not allowed in the research area but lockers and a refreshment area are provided for your convenience.

Alternatively you might like to take advantage of our research service, details of which can be found on our webpage http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/recreation-heritage-and-culture/archives-and-history/surrey-history-centre/using-surrey-history-centre/research-service. Depending on how many documents you want searched I suggest that you hire the service for an hour to begin with, although there is no guarantee that we will find the information you are looking for.

Please note that we now charge a fee for camera permits. This costs £7.90 for one day or £23.75 for five days. Permits apply to both cameras and mobile phones with camera facilities.

This enquiry has been answered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act (2000), Data Protection Act (1998) and the Environmental Information Regulations.

I hope this information is helpful to your research.

Yours sincerely

L A Spring (Mr)

for Public Services and Engagement Manager

SURREY HISTORY CENTRE
130 GOLDSWORTH ROAD
WOKING
GU21 6ND

Tel: 01483 518737
Fax: 01483 518738
E-mail: [email protected]

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 10/04/2007 22:56:27
Messages: 3322
Location: Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire
Offline

Hi Kevin,
That's a great bit of research and I'd be interested in visiting Woking - but it won't be for a little while...

The three soldiers mentioned in the photos are:

6141067 Sgt J Evans, East Surreys
2043706 Cpl R Dare, Royal Engineers
6040465 Pte J Phillips, East Surreys.

All three were in No3 (Malaya) Contingent under Lt Col Campbell Baldwin, Argyll & Sutherland, with Major Bob English, East Surreys, also serving in this contingent.

I am currently building up a Nominal Roll for 204 Mil Mission but haven't been able to place your father into a particular contingent - any idea?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/03/2014 15:29:19

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 02/12/2007 12:24:31
Messages: 396
Offline

Hi Nick, glad to be of some assistance with anything to do with 204. As to my father, in April 1942, It is my belief that only SSD1 and SSD2 remained in Burma, as of the original six units of 204 the first three had gone to China, one had been disbanded due to poor discipline. Even though my father said that he had seen the Great Wall of China, I can not verify that he went to China. But I do have a vivid memory of him saying that the order came, 'every man for himself' and that one of the officers in his group wanted to surrender to the Japs on every occasion, but that was not on dad's list of things to do, and that HE had put the officer under close arrest and brought the rest of the troop out of the jungle after a few months, again I can't verify this, but again why mention it if It never happened. Which points me to possibly SSD2?
It would be very interesting if you ever came across a similar insidence as mentioned above in your research.
Nick if possible could you add any photos! Please keep me updated as I've been going back and forth on this for over twenty odd years, and It seems there might be light at the end of the tunnel, as I don't think I'll be around when this is finally in the public domain.

Good luck on your visit.
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/03/2014 19:59:44

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger