commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
12 Cdo Roll of Honour  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
Can the following men be considered for inclusion to the 12 Cdo Roll of Honour.

Sgt Victor John Cox ,5671612, Somerset L I, KIA 2-2-1945 - He is referred to in 12 Cdo nominal roll and CWGC

Cpl Joseph Patrick Crowley,3710217,KORR/SBS, died 19-3-45, he is shown as being with 12 Cdo in the picture gallery cdo of ww2/12 cdo

Lcpl Ellis Howells, 3910267, S W B/SBS , KIA 7-10-44,he is shown as 12 Cdo in special forces -roll of honour web site and in the book Operation Fahrenheit,
by Michel Guillou.

Maj Ross Roberts Littlejohn, 197229, Highland L I / SAS , died 19-3-45,he is shown in the picture gallery-cdo of ww2-12 cdo

Capt.Douglas James Maurice Cotton Minchin , 77634,Cameronians , KIA 15-3-45

Capt Philip Hugh Pinckney,3910267,Royal Artillery / SAS , KIA 7-9-43

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

I will have a look into these names. I know all of them. Most are in the gallery and L/Cpl Ellis Howells is likely to be the man in this photo

Sgt Victor Cox was executed whilst a Prisoner of War

Major Littlejohn and Cpl. Crowley were also executed whilst Prisoners of War

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 11/01/2014 19:24:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

Official military rolls of honour may differ to website rolls of honour. We are actually more liberal in our interpretation than some others for the purposes of inclusion. The Roll of Honour on our website contains the names of those Commandos who were killed in action, or died of wounds whilst engaged on, or after being engaged on, an action attached to a specific Commando Unit. It would also include those who were subsequently executed whilst a Prisoner of War after such an action, or died on active service whilst attached to a Commando Unit. At the present time this would not include those who had been killed whilst attached to another Regiment having been transferred from, or been posted out of, a Commando Unit.

Sgt Cox was executed after being engaged on an operation whilst still a member of 12 Cdo and so I have added his name.

With one exception, the Special Air Service /Special Boat Service Rolls of Honour would/should accommodate the names of the others in your message as they were no longer attached to No 12 Commando which had, by the time of their deaths, been disbanded. The exception being Captain Douglas Cotton Minchin. This Army Commando officer was attached to 43RM Commando on a patrol with 'B' troop at the time of his death, having previously seen service in Nos 8 Cdo, 10 Cdo, 12 Cdo, and Chief Instructor at the CBTC. At the present time RM Commando Rolls of Honour are not on the website, but hopefully will be, as I know there is detail to at least begin these. If you or others would like to assist in the very worthwhile task of compiling such lists, please do so, taking into consideration the criteria as described above.

The Nominal Roll is different in that it contains the names of individuals who at some stage saw service in a Commando unit. So different Nominal Rolls may contain the same name because the individual saw service in different Commando Units. Similarly it may contain names of those who left the Commando unit for any reason.

The criteria for the Memorial Plaques at the CVA Army Commando Memorial was slightly different to the above. This is the CVA's own Memorial to the Army Commandos.

The above response is after consulting with our National Secretary

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 13/01/2014 21:57:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger