commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Urgent help required  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am in urgent need for a badge like the one in the photo, which is, basically, a Commando Proficiency/Qualification badge but with the word 'COMMANDO' embroidered over the top...
I'm sorry I can't divulge the reason I want it but suffice to say it is for one of our friends - and I am willing to pay for such an item.
The badges can often be seen on the Berets of some Veterans.

Thanks...

Nick

[Thumb - vaterans cap badge.jpg]
 Filename vaterans cap badge.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  581 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nic
It might be worth contacting a supplier of British WWII insignia that I have used in the past called Monty's Locker, as he actually manufactures all of his own cloth insignia he may be able to make one for you.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip - I' have been told of Monty's Locker and, if it comes to it, I may have to use his services.
However, to have one made, I will still need all the dimensions etc.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nic
If you require dimensions then I think I can assist you with this as I have got a brand new one that Idris Jones gave me that I think was issued by the old Commando Association.
Let me know and I will supply you with a detailed set of dimensions /images.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Andy,

Yes please, I need every dimension - length of dagger, height of lettering etc.

A good photo with a scale beside would be extremely useful.
hey, you know the sort of things I need!

Thanks

Nick
Ps yes they were made, in limited numbers, for the Commando Association, in the 90s...

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just a quick update on this...

Unable to source this badge - which I do need for a very important reason - I sent the exact dimensions and photos (provided by Andy Maines) to Derek at http://www.montyslocker.co.uk/ who was able to help and very kindly provided me with a sample free of charge.

Although not exactly like the original, it is a good facsimile and I'm very pleased with it.

As Derek insisted that he couldn't take any payment, I have pledged to make a donation the Royal Hospital Chelsea, on his behalf.
http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/how-you-can-help

The photo below shows the newly acquired badge on the left and the original on the right.

Thank you to everyone who offered their help and, although I'm still unable to divulge the reason I needed the badge at the moment, I will tell the full story in the next few months...

Nick
[Thumb - Veterans cap badge-comparision_small.jpg]
 Filename Veterans cap badge-comparision_small.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 199 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  581 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/01/2014 00:59:20

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nic

As you say not an exact copy, but still pretty dam good, glad to have been some assistance with this project, just wish that I had a spare original to donate to you.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

At last I can revel the need for this badge...
During January 2014 I read a post on Facebook asking for advice in obtaining a Commando Cap Badge...
I replied to the post and explained to the poster, Terri Earl, that there was no such thing as a Commando cap Badge.
Terri then explained that a friend of her's, Steve Scudder, knew a Commando veteran who had had his beret stolen in April 2013 and was very upset and desperate to have it replaced.
imagine my surprise when the Veteran was revealed to be our dear friend, Billy Moore.

Steve Scudder and I contacted each other and Steve obtained a replacement green beret whilst I provided a KRRC (King's Crown) cap badge.
Steve presented Billy with the beret and reported back that Billy was deeply moved. "Now I've just got to find the 'commando' badge," he told Steve.
Little did he know that Steve & I were already on the case...
The Commando badge looks similar to the Commando Qualification Badge except this one has the word 'COMMANDO' in white letters across the top. These were produced, in limited numbers, for the Commando Association - which Stood Down in 2005.

Despite extensive enquiries, no one had any spares.
With my wife, Sue, on Standby with a needle & thread, I contacted a company called Monty's Lockers and explained to the owner, Derek, our predicament.
Derek was extremely helpful and said he'd see what he could do. Within a week, I received a badge that fitted the bill, Derek would not accept payment but suggested that I made a donation to the RH Chelsea Pensioners Funds - something I was more than happy to do.

Obviously the CVA was very keen to help Billy and our National Secretary, Joe Murtagh, asked what he could do to help.
In the end, it was decided that it would be very appropriate to have the new badge presented to Billy at the annual visit to the RH Chelsea.

[Thumb - Billy's Badge Presentation2.JPG]
 Filename Billy's Badge Presentation2.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 351 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  567 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/05/2014 23:29:00

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger