commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Padres  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi,
Reading thro! the forum I came across a question from 2007, that was really was not answered.

The questions were about Padre's attached to the commandos,and I would like to know if any one knows the answers.

1 Did they have to do cdo training, and earn the green beret,or were they excused as attached pers.

2 Did any join the Commando Association

3 Having a look at my records,it is possible to confirm that all Cdo bdes,and CBTC had Padres ,the commando unit also had Padres,but cannot find any records for the Layfoce commando's,ie No's 7,8 and 11 having a padre,this is the same for the ME cdo units,can any one help please.

As a follow on question,did medical officers have to do the commando course

Many thanks
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a book called 'With God's Blessing And A Green Beret' - John Wallis, DSC, MA, writing about his time with 41 RM Commando.

He mentions going on exercises and street fighting courses. He says, 'I had the opportunity and I think I could say it was a privilege of sharing life with the unit in all their exercises, routine marches, blisters, weariness. soakings, sleeping rough and bivouacing in extremely low temperatures, and sharing in the fun too.

A great little book.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Thanks Eileen,it appears that the book is available,so will try and get a copy.

Regards
Graham

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The book's yours if you'd like it. :)

'Too late!' was the cry.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/01/2014 23:19:53

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Graham

A few years ago I wrote an article for the VC Society Journal on Eric Harden VC medic with 45RM Commando in WW2.

For that article I was fortunate to be able to talk to another 45RM member who was at Achnacarry with Harden Kieth Thompson.
So I can confirm that Harden at least did the Commando coarse. Harden's Regt. was the RAMC.

Hope this helps.

regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi,
Thanks for the confirmation of the training for medics within the commando,I was fairly sure that the OR's did the commando course, but unsure about the officers.
Thanks again
Graham

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Graham,
Ronald Geoffrey Lunt was the Chaplain attached to 7 Commando and Layforce. When Layforce disbanded he was attached to the Coldstream Guards. He won a MC for actions in the Knightsbridge box. He returned to the Commando's in July 1943 attached to the SRS and Commando Brigade HQ.

Father Albert Basil was a RC Chaplain attached to the Commando's and was seconded to the 1st US Rangers, prior to and during Operation Torch. Major Darby, CO of 1st Rangers tells his story.

"I asked if he could be permitted to stay with us until after we had landed in North Africa. In fact he stayed on with us through the Tunisian campaign until the British Army discovered they had one missing chaplain. Unfortunately for us, Father Basil was then returned to the British Army. During his nine months with the Rangers, he was a constant source of inspiration and comfort to us. Slight of build, about medium height, with large horn-rimmed spectacles punctuating a very sharp-featured, intelligent, and happy face, he became a familiar sight as his uniform began to look like that of the Rangers. His one unfailing exception to complete Americanization was his insistence on wearing the Commando's Green Beret and shoulder patch."

In North Africa he used his fluency in Italian to great effect. He talked an Italian Officer into surrendering his men, which limited causaulties in the mopping up operation.

Citation for Silver Star:

http://en.ww2awards.com/person/35033

Captain (Rev) C Pritchard was attached to 3 Commando and was photographed with the Officers at Limehouse in May 1944.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/3+cdo+officers.jpg.html

In Normandy in July 1944, Pritchard and DJR Thomas were the Chaplains attached to the 1st Special Service Brigade.

The RAChD had their own battle school in Northamptonshire which introduced Padres to the rigours of the battlefield.

Regards

Guy
[Thumb - LUNT.jpg]
 Filename LUNT.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  682 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/01/2014 16:02:19

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Guy,
Thanks for the information,most of it new - so a bit more to work to be done.
Regards
Graham

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Here's a good photo in our gallery of Revd Capt Pritchard

Both Thomas and Pritchard are mentioned in the gallery details here : No 1 Special Service Brigade

and aprevious forum post about Father Albert Basil

A photo of 48RM Commando with Rev. Armstrong

From our Obituaries there is an entry near the bottom of the page Rev Capt JBR Grindrod KBE 41 RM Commando

Reverend John Birkbeck No 9 Commando who would later officiate and many Commando association ceremonies. (CA Newsletter 66 and others)

Not sure if you have the above already but posted for reference

The followingwere killed in action :

44RM Commando Revd Captain Harold Charles Manger RNVR attd 44RM Commando

No 2 Commando Revd Captain Gareth Banting

45RM Commando Revd Captain Derrick Lovell Williams

This message was edited 10 times. Last update was at 12/01/2014 19:57:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

May I just mention the Rt Rev Maurice Wood, whom I remember as Bishop of Norwich in the early 1980s? He was a considerable character. Having been ordained in 1940, he joined the Royal Navy as a chaplain in 1943. I believe that he took part in the Normany landings, but he certainly took part in the invasion of Walcheren in November 1944 as chaplain to 48 Cdo RM. There he was awarded the DSC. Later he went out to the Far East. Whenever I have seen film of him at reunions, he always wore the green beret so I would assume that he was commando trained.
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello to all.

I Would like to know, which Padre was attached to 4 cdo ( I know of course the French Padre, René de Naurois, was with 4 cdo ), is there an other one.

And too, which Padre with 6 cdo, 41, 45,46, 47 RM cdo.

I'm writing about 1st and 4th commando brigade in Normandy, but haven't much informations about the Padre.

Thanks

Best Regards

Stéphane
Croesy01
Forum Member

(For Steph....) My info is that in 1945 No.4 had a padre, Capt. Rev. A.Drake, from Doncaster.
I know no more than that, eg how long had he been involved and so on.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Revd Arthur Drake died in 1974 and certainly served with No 1 Commando as his death was announced in their Winchester Reunion Programme

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Chaplain Ross Sydney Hook MC served 2 Commando Bde. He was with 40RM Commando for a few months before moving to 43RM Commando where he was awarded the Military Cross for his gallantry over a period of time in the Dalmatian Islands and later at Comacchio. Post war he became a Bishop. His death was announced CA Newsletter 103 September 1996

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Reverend Maurice Wood, D.S.C (Ex 48 Cdo & 3 Cdo Bde) became Vicar of St Mary's Islington

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger