commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RZNRA and 1 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
mort
Forum Member

Hi
I have just received my father-in-laws WW2 army records. He was George Phillips from Dudley and was posted to 1 Commando from 20 November 1945.
Can anyone help me with a couple of queries?
Firstly, having enlisted in November 1944, he was with HOC from March 45 until posted to RZNRA and embarked Liverpool for India in September 45. What was RZNRA?
And secondly, by the time Dad got his posting the war had ended and 1 Commando, and later 1/5 Commando, I read were engaged on garrison duties in Hong Kong. What sorts of things were happening in HK at this time. I can remember Dad used to have terrible nightmares from his army days, but I can?t seem to relate these to the peace time Far East. Like most soldiers he never said what the trouble was. Any ideas would be helpful.
Many thanks
mort
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mort,
Welcome to the CVA Website & Forum.

Where the records say 'posted to RNZRA' - that is just a draft serial number, a unique number/code given to a wartime overseas draft. The number would be clearly marked on the soldier's kit to ensure it reached the same destination as he did...
Presumably the numbers were codes for Country, Area, Port, Camp etc.
When my father set sail for India with No5 Cdo, his draft code was RZGHA - so there are some common letters there which must mean something...

Some of the policing duties carried out by 3 Cdo Brigade in Hong Kong and the New Territories, when hostilities had ceased were:
safeguarding and Repatriation of Japanese PoWs
Border patrols
Normal policing - prevention of looting etc.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger