commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Bergen OP Zoom Cemetery - Operation Infatuate  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
John1951
Forum Member

I have just made a very long overdue trip to visit the grave of an uncle who I never got the chance to meet. 112376 Cpl Edward (Ted) James Evans was killed on 2 November 1944 during the initial assault on Westkapelle. He was one my late father's younger brothers, aged just a bit over 19 at the time of his death.

As far as I know this was only the second time any member of the family has been able to make the trip.

2014 will be the 70th anniversary of both his passing and Operation Infatuate so I intend a return trip next year.

I am attaching photographs from the cemetery.
[Thumb - DSCI0448.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0448.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2553 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  614 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0453.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0453.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2086 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  574 time(s)

[Thumb - DSCI0452.JPG]
 Filename DSCI0452.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1870 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  610 time(s)

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A few of us are hoping to get there next year. Glad you made the trip and thanks for posting the photos.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
John1951
Forum Member

My pleasure Eileen and I'll look forward to updates on your planned trip. I would like to lay a wreath at the memorial next year of behalf of the Evans family past and present. The plan would also include a visit to Westkapelle where Ted lost his life.

Ted is top row, second from left in this photo -

[Thumb - 1944 05a Ted Evans - top 2nd from left (2).jpg]
 Filename 1944 05a Ted Evans - top 2nd from left (2).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1905 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  687 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

Thank you for posting the photos and also for the email you sent me. We actually have a photo of the grave of your uncle in our gallery along with the other Commando Fallen buried at the cemetery taken by one of our Dutch members when he visited the Cemetery. That photo can be viewed here Grave of Corporal Evans

I will add the photo you sent to our 47RM Commando gallery and have cropped an individual photo of your uncle here

In Memory of CH/X 112376 Corporal Edward James Evans
No. 47 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines
who died on 02 November 1944
Remembered with honour Bergen-Op-Zoom War Cemetery

[Thumb - Cpl Edward James Evans.jpg]
 Filename Cpl Edward James Evans.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  571 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/11/2013 15:22:30

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John1951
Forum Member

Many thanks Pete

it was actually finding Jack Bakker's photo that started this all off and I am extremely grateful to both of you for that.

Although very few of Ted's immediate family are still alive, the trip has allowed one of my cousins to fill in a few gaps on an already very detailed Evans' family website. Hopefully, next year I'll also be able to get to Westkapelle.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have now added the photo of Corporal Evans to our 47 RM Commando gallery. Follow this link : Corporal Edward James Evans

A previous message about last years anniversary with a ROH can be found here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/15/1324.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/11/2013 14:45:39

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
John1951
Forum Member

Thanks again Pete

I just viewed your excellent contributions to YouTube. By coincidence we chose Moonlight Serenade to close Mum's funeral ceremony on 1 March last year. I also found the MovieTone footage of Operation Infatuate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doq8s68Xoo8
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi John

For your information I have now discovered that the squad photo is that of 255 Sea Service (SS) Squad RM ( Hostilities Only ) which joined and trained at Chatham, and the date would have been circa mid 1943. Although originally trained for Sea Service, he obviously progressed later into 47RM Commando. The Squad Instructor, Sgt Synott, retired as a Major and died quite recently. My thanks to the RM Historical society for this information.

Pete

Ps ...thanks for the comments about the videos !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/11/2013 22:37:02

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger