commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Queen Emma  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
Reading about HMS Queen Emma,on the 17 Aug 1943 she was bombed while in Augusta harbour.Sicily.
Although not hit she suffered a near misses,causing little damage but loss of life and injury.
Does any one know of a good account of this incident,as its hard to decypher who was killed,the Cwgc and Naval history have different names of those killed on the ship.
Also would the Queen Emma of had Royal Marines(not cdo) has crew.
Many thanks
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi GrahamCooper,

My good friend Peter Lee should be able to help:

https://sites.google.com/site/hmsprincessbeatrix/httpssitesgooglecomsitehmsprincessbeatrixhttpssitesgooglecomsitehmsprincessbeatrixScratch-built-Model-of-HMS-Princess-Beatrix/service-history-m-v-prinses-beatrix-and-koningin-emma-1939---1968

If you need to email him let me know and I will send an address.

Regards
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Graham did you discover anymore on this ? I can see on the CWGC records there is a difference between those Royal Marines who were killed and shown as 40RM Commando and those shown 'HMS Queen Emma' to the names on our own ROH and that of the Naval History website.

A Daily Telegraph account by OS Peter Stevens RN who was on board the Queen Emma at the time included this:
On 17th July 1943 we were anchored in Augusta Harbour Sicily with the Royal Marine Commandos on board, waiting at night to sail to land them behind the German lines. The Germans were heavily bombing in the harbour using flares to identify the ships.
'HMS Queen Emma? suffered two very near misses by fragmentation or anti personnel bombs. These caused considerable damage on board as the grenades carried by the Commandos were detonated by shrapnel. We suffered 102 casualties including 15 killed in the stern of the ship. We had three RN doctors aboard, two were killed outright.
I was on the bridge at the time, which was undamaged, but I still have vivid memories of this terrible night in Augusta. The following morning we sailed for Malta. As an able seaman I helped to clear up the debris which in practical terms meant using a bucket and cloth to clean up blood, human brains and flesh from the deck and bulkheads. The dead were sewn into hammocks by the Boson and buried at sea on the way back to Malta.

The full article can be read here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/Britain_at_War_Readers__Memorie/3530862/Britain-at-War-The-dead-were-sewn-into-hammocks-and-buried-at-sea.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I should just point out that it was on the 17th July 1943 rather than August.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to update this message, Graham has been in touch by email with some information. Here is what I have just added to the archive:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/QueenEmmabombing

[Email]
Ian Mackay
Forum Member

Hi Pete Graham

My Grandfather Stoker First Class John Jones C/KX135591 Royal Navy, served on the Queen Emma throughout the war, and on the night mentioned the 17th July 1943 won the BEM (British Empire Medal) for saving several of the injured.

The account goes as such:

During an air attack at Augusta on the 17th July 1943 a number of bombs fell near the HMS queen Emma, two of which exploded simultaneously, very close on either quarter causing many causalities, and a number of small holes in the ships side's, and starting fires. Joiner Lake who was on the mess deck where most of the causalities occurred, when the bombs exploded, was most prominent in the dealing fire and repair, entering the a compartment where fires were burning and dangerous fumes issuing, He is recommended for devotion to duty and disregard of danger.

Stoker Jones was very prominent in helping the wounded, showing a complete disregard of danger by entering the cabin flat full of fumes, with only a handkerchief over his face. He subsequently worked there in a mask for a considerable time doing rescue work.

I have subsequently found and purchased his medals including the BEM and the letter sent from Buckingham palace, dated the 28th February 1944, for his investiture of the award.

I have a substantial amount of information on the Queen Emma and am happy to pass it on.

Regards,

Ian Mackay. P.S 18 Died and 70 were injured during the attack.
[WWW]
Ian Mackay
Forum Member

Graham /Peter

Further to my E mail about the Queen Emma, she was carrying Royal Marine commandoes on the night of the 17th July 1943.

Regards,

Ian,
[WWW]
Rick Smallman
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

I have been a bit quite as I have had to bunker down and wait for this virus to die down. Purely for medical reasons and orders from the Doctor.

If you have any information on HMS Queen Emma could you contact Peter via his website?

He would be willing to give you any help and information.

https://sites.google.com/site/hmsprincessbeatrix/h...-and-koningin-emma-1939---1968

Regards
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ian

Just to clarify I am not the Peter in Rick's message above. As you will see on this link we have detail of the RM Commandos killed in the explosion on HMS Queen Emma.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/QueenEmmabombing

Whats sort of additional information is it that you have ?

[Email]
Peter47
Forum Member

Hi I am the Peter Lee refered to in Rick message, I have checked link to my site he added, it works after a fashion, but is an the older version, hopefully this will take you to latest version:
https://sites.google.com/view/researchonhmsprincessbeatrixhm/Home
And yes I am always on the look out for more material on both the Queen Emma and Princess Beatrix ( my Uncle Stan Lee served on her through out the war too).

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger