commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on my grandfather, Herbert Jones. 48 Commando Y Troop  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Stevenbeckwith
Forum Member

Hi, I am looking for anyone who knew my grandfather and serve with him in WW2. He was enlisted as a Marine to 7 Battalion then later became part of 48 Commando Y Troop. Does anyone know who served with him?
He never spoke about the war and he sadly died in the '90's. My eldest son is now doing a WW2 project at school and gas chosen his great-grandfather as his subject.
Can anyone help?
[Thumb - image.jpg]
 Filename image.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 671 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  299 time(s)

SM Beckwith
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steven

We have a small gallery of photos of 48RM commando and there is one in there of some from Y troop. Here is a link to the 48RM Commando gallery

A very good book on 48RM Commando is called D Day Commando - From Normandy to the Maas with 48RM Commando written by Ken Ford

I will add your Grandfather's photo to the gallery in due course.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stevenbeckwith
Forum Member

Thanks Pete. Appreciated. I have quite a few books including the one by Ken Ford. In addition, I gave quite a bit of stuff that 'Bert' kept including all the service records.
I have a couple more photos that he had. I will post them later. He kept a little journal from the time he set sale from Liverpool when he was in 7th Battalion. He was one of the group held up in Durban for 5 weeks.
In terms of Normandy, it seems that he was lucky to be alive as he was in Y Troop. However he made it up the beach and onwards. I still have a swastika that he commandeered in Le Havre. Clearly that doesn't come out much!
I am trying to find out if anyone in Y Troop knew him or whether he has been mentioned by others.

SM Beckwith
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photo now posted in the 48RM Commando gallery: Herbert Jones

If you advise me of the date of your Grandfather's death I will include his name on our online Obituaries

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/11/2013 14:06:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bowtr
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hiya,
I think I've pretty much nailed my grandad down to 48 Commando. I know he was at Le Havre and also visited Durban as he made moves towards emigrating to South Africa after the war. If you want to swap any information, I would be glad to do so.
Thanks,
Ian
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger