commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Torch  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi,
The other week I was asking about a 6 cdo publication, the Slit Trench Sentinal.

Now reading 3 cdo war diary WO 218/83,the entry for 28 May 1945,states "the first edition of the commando magazine "The Torch", was published.

Is anything known of this publication,ie contents,qnd have any copies survived.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Victor oakes
Forum Member

Hi, My name is Victor Oakes - Grandson to the late Robert Edwin Spry Oakes who was the editor of the 'Torch" magazine of which I have printed copies.
I have many letters which he wrote to my grandmother during WW2. I also have an Arabic translation into english whereby he was recognised as being instrumental in uniting the British and Iraqi forces.
Both Grandparents held Captain ranks. I am willing to meet and share this info should you be interested. I also wish to gain as much info on my late grandfather however possible.
Email me at: [email protected]
Victor oakes
Forum Member

My Grandfather was not only the editor of 'The Torch' magazine but was also the printer and publisher of the magazine.
I work in the printing industry and also printed the first poster of Nelson Mandela when he was released. (a painted portrait as a photo was not allowed)
Also, I printed the final signatory sheet of all the parties at the Codesa talks in Kempton Park of which I have an original printed, but obviously unsigned copy.
Only myself, and printing partner at the time have this, which is now SA history.
Contact me: [email protected]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger