commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information about my grandfather Thomas John Kenny (Jack Kenny) No.4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Pip G
Forum Member

Hi thankyou for letting me join your forum! I am hoping that somebody may be able to help me research my gramp's career with No.4 Commando. He was called up at the beginning of WW2 and initially joined The Welch regiment before becoming a commando. I know that he trained in Scotland and for a time was based in Braemar- where he met my nan. He fought in Normandy and I think he also fought on the Dutch Islands. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre. Unfortunately this is all I know.

We very sadly lost grampy aged 91 just 2 weeks ago. He really didn't like to talk about the war, and when I asked him once why he was awarded the Croix de Guerre he told me that 'those things were just handed out with the ration packs'. For this reason I've left it until now to try to research his role.

I know that my mum has a few photos that I may be able to borrow to add to your gallery.

Thanks in advance, Pip

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/10/2013 13:55:42

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome from the daughter of George Francis Harris - also No.4.

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandad's passing but glad that you've joined us. They tended not to be very talkative when it came to what they went through but I hope, like I did, that you'll be able to find out lots of interesting and special things about him.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pip G
Forum Member

Thankyou! It's funny but I still sort of feel as though I'm going behind his back trying to find out more about his army days, as I appreciate that much of what they went through they probably just wanted to forget.

However I'm so proud of the job that all the soldiers did during the World Wars (as we all are) and now have 2 young boys that are desperate to know more about their Great Grampy, so have decided to ask you folk for help!
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I often wonder the same thing about 'going behind his back' but I'm sure we'll never know those things they'd rather were kept quiet. I know he'd have no trouble with me finding out where he was and who his pals were. I just wish he'd kept something to help me in my quest to find the Dutch family he stayed with in Kamperland.

I also often think that I was meant to find this site.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Pip

I am very sorry to hear the news about your Grandfather and offer our sincere condolences to you and all the family and friends. Your Grandfather was a member of the original Commando association that stood down in 2005. Unofficial records show he served in the Commandos from the 30th September 1942 until 22nd November 1945. He was, as you say, in No.4 Commando, and his service number is shown as 2576841.

If you provide me with the date of his death I will add his name to our Obituaries. Additionally could you tell me if your grandmother is still alive. I will then inform the Commando Benevolent Fund of his death. They keep records of widows.

Should you wish to know more about his service the nearest next of kin may wish to apply for a copy of his Service Record. How to do so can be found here:

Service Record Application

Please feel free to either post your response here, or email via the Contact Us section of the Home Page Menu. If you scan and copy any photos you can include them in the email to me with as much information about each that is known

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry to hear of your grandfathers death. Wish you all the best in tracing his service with No 4 Commando. My Dad was kia in Flushing on 1 November 1944 and given dates your grandfather would have been there. Do you know what troop he was in? Best wishes. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pip G
Forum Member

Hi, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, and thankyou so much for responding. Pete- my gramp died on the 16th September 2013, and yes my nan is still alive. Bill- yes he was in Flushing, looking at the photos in the gallery I think I've spotted him in F troop, but I need to get my mum or nan to verify that I'm looking at the right chap! Thanks again for getting back to me, I'll try to remember to get mum to look out some photos.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger