commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
"The Slit Trench Sentinel"  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

The Pegasus Achives have the war diares for both the Air borne and the No1 Special Service Brigade.,including 6 Cdo D Day on.

While reading the diary for 6 Commando,I came across the following entry.

3 Aug 1944.Quote,'The first issue of the Commando daily news sheet Slit Trench Sentinel appears"

What is known of this news sheet,did it last any time,and are there any known copies in exsistence.

Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
I assume that this publication did not survive either in memory, or as a news sheet.Shame, another source of information lost.
Thanks
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You might be interested in reading the obituary published in The Telegraph to Capt. Arnold Wheeldon N°6 Commando:
"In the weeks after D-Day, Wheeldon produced a news-sheet, The Slit-Trench Sentinel, which gave the latest information about the progress of the landings on the other beaches."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9688908/Capt-Arnold-Wheeldon.html

and a little more about Arnold Wheeldon from the 6 commando web-site

http://www.6commando.com/Pages/Other%20Ranks/OR%20Pages/W/Wheeldon%20CA/OR%20Wheeldon%20CA.html

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have an album with photos and information about Arnold Wheeldon. Click on his name to view it.

I will add the comments from the obituary about the Slit Trench sentinel to the details

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger