commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
HMS Z1  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
While reading about No 4 Commando in the early part of 1942,I came across a reference to some sort of troop carrying ship/boat.
The ship/boat had no name ,other than HMS Z1.No 4 Commando sailed in her,departing from ARDROSSAN,Scotland on 22 Feb,1942, and after carrying out various training exercises on the Outer Hebrides group of Islands returned to ARDROSSAN on 2 March 1942.
I have tried the internet to find any details on HMS Z1.
Can anyone help.
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I have found a series of 60 lighters that were given the prefix 'Z'. They were designed to carry tanks or lorries but I assume troops too. Also, Boom Defence Vessels had a 'Z' number. I have more info about these vessels if you require it.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Peter,
thanks for your reply,yes please for more information on the lighters,would these lighter allow a whole commando to be accommidated aboard ie sleeping,eating and general ablutions.I ask because I really don't know what type of craft a lighter is.
Many thanks
Graham

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have spoken with Major Jimmy Dunning who was on this exercise as a TSM with No.4 Commando. He advises me that although he cannot recall the name of the vessel that they sailed on, he thought it would have had to be something similar in size to the Ulster Monarch, if not that ship itself. Only 3 troops went on the raid but they were accompanied by an HQ troop and some others. All troops would have been at full strength so getting close to 200 Commandos would have been involved with their kit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/09/2013 17:24:07

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I have been looking into these Lighters and have found that they were built 1943-44 which is too late for your search requirements. Will keep looking.

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi,
Reading on I have discovered that the ships Captain of HMS Z1 is named as Commander FELL RN.

This I googled, and in www.uboat.net it shows that Cdr William Richmond Fell ,DSO,OBE RN, was the Captain of the LSI ,Prince Charles from Jan 1941 to Apr 1942,covering the period in question, so am fairly convinced that HMS Z1 is HMS Prince Charles.

Regards
Graham

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alimarante/4547379876/
See the link above for a photo of HMS Prince Charles

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/10/2013 17:31:21

Andy Barons
Forum Member

I was interested in your article and am trying to find information on the landings at Poros, Greec in 1944. My father, a Navy Sub Lt was seconded to the army to command one of the "Z CRAFT". He maintained that, because the vessel was going out of sight of land, a naval officer was required on board. I pulled together a brief account and found a photo of a Z craft. Please see attached. I hope this helps identify the craft. I know that a number were despached from Taranto to Poros, as my father mentioned at least 2 other navy officers similarly seconded.

Andy Barons
[Email]
Andy Barons
Forum Member

I was interested in your article and am trying to find information on the landings at Poros, Greece in 1944.
My father, a Navy Sub Lt was seconded to the army to command one of the "Z CRAFT".
He maintained that, because the vessel was going out of sight of land, a naval officer was required on board.
I pulled together a brief account and found a photo of a Z craft.
Please see attached. I hope this helps identify the craft.
I know that a number were despached from Taranto to Poros, as my father mentioned at least 2 other navy officers similarly seconded.

Andy Barons
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Support Ships and Landing Craft
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger