commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Medical Commandos  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Medic Orderly
Forum Member

Does anyone have any information on what was carried in the Bergen by medical Orderly's in the commandos.
Cheers Phil
KatieKing
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,
My father Robert King M.M.(No. 9 Commando) was a medic and I remember him telling me they carried morphine, iodine, field dressings, pins, a tourniquet and a saw. I can't remember what else, I hope this helps
Shaun
Forum Member

I am writing a book on the subject of RAMC attached to the Commandos. I can provide you a detailed list of what was carried by a member of 3 commando if it helps.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Sometimes official medical supplies were not readily available. A small and little known book about the activities of a RAMC surgeon attached to No 2 Commando when they took over the Island of Vis is an an excellent read. It is called an Island of Terrible Friends by Bill Strutton. It is an interesting and sometimes humourous account of the work, and problems, faced by Major James Rickett RAMC who went with No 2 Commando when they took over the Adriatic island of Vis for operations against the neighbouring German occupied islands. I highly recommend it.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Shaun
Forum Member

Lovely thank you Pete.

Never look down on a Medic, one day you may be looking up at one...
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Further to Pete's recommendation, Major Jim Rickett's son, John Rickett, has also written an excellent book, 'Stretchers Not Available' [ISBN 978-1-4670-0898-3] which contains accounts related by Jim Rickett to his son and also letters and extracts from Jim's diary...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Weapons and Equipment
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger