commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Firstly a big thankyou to Danny Struthers who has supplied personal photos belonging to his Grandfather Sgt Robert (Bob) "Tiny" Struthers who had served in N°6 Commando :D
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4119.page#15288

Secondly a further thankyou to Pete Rogers for posting those photos in the N°6 Commando gallery :-)
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/

Now the exciting news for me is that my father is shown in the photo entitled "Lt Terence Hugo and others"; he is pictured 2nd from the right fully facing the camera; the "unusual" berry position is identical to that shown in other photos :shock:
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/6.jpg.html

Unfortunately my father died 5 January 1960 when I was only 7 years old. I have non of his possessions and only a few memories of him; so a photo of his Commando service is something that I will treasure. I have printed off a copy of the photo but it gives a poor quality impression. Is there any way that either Danny or Pete could supply a proper photo copied from the original?

Back to that photo : has anyone got any further information as to when and where it was taken? :?:

I cross referenced the information given about Lt Terence Hugo on the 6Commando website and discovered that he commanded N°1 Troop when he was KIA on 30 January 1945 and is now laid to rest in Nederweert cemetery. The same site says that my father was at that time a Lance Sergeant in "A" sub section also of N°1 Troop. Although by 3 September 1945 he was a Sergeant in N°2 Troop.

My father's sparse Military records show:
27/01/1943 - Admitted to MDS 152 Field Ambulance & posted X(ii) List (which I believe to be the 1st Time he was wounded)
05/07/1944 - Wounded in Action in NW Europe, Transferred to St Mary's Hospital, Portsmouth (2nd time wounded, later awarded MM)
30/01/1945 - Wounded in Action (remains at duty) (3rd time wounded at the same time that Lt Hugo was KIA)

During my own Military service I served in Brunssum, Holland which is only 32km from Maasbracht where this assault appears to have take place on the 30 January 1945. I didn't know this at that time and never visited that location or the cemetery at Nederweert. Does anyone know if the details of this assault are available either on-line or in a book. :?:

Thanyou in advance for any help that you are able to offer.

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Isn't it wonderful when you find someone in a photograph? So pleased for you.

I've ordered quite a few prints of personal photos from TRUPRINT and they're much clearer than the originals ... well, mine are. Not sure how you'd be on with prints from here - I'm sure somebody will come along and tell us. :)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Danny Struthers
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,
It was a great pleasure to fall upon this site, I too am grateful to the CVA and in particular Pete for his help and support.

It's is great to know that our Heroes live on, even if we have more questions than answers.

It is wonderful to know that pieces of other people's jigsaw are being discovered through my Grandads pictures. I hope more faces are recognised in time and my fingers crossed that maybe someone will have a few more pieces of my own jigsaw to disclose.

If you would like to PM me your email address I will consult with my long suffering wife, Sandra who deals with all domestic technical matters on how best to get a better quality copy for you.

Kind Regards
Danny

B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Again another big thankyou to Danny Struthers who has sent to me copies from his original photo. For someone like me who has very few personal photos, this means such alot. :D

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

An image of the grave of Lt Hugo from the collection of L/Cpl Emmerson (1 SS/Cdo Bde HQ) is now in our gallery and can be viewed here : The grave of Lt Terence Hugo No 6 Commando 1 troop

In Memory of 229276Lieutenant Terence James Hugo
Royal Scots and No.6 Commando
who died on the 30th January 1945 aged 25
Remembered with honour at Nederweert War Cemetery

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/04/2014 15:57:55

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello BillP,
I have sent you a PM concerning the citation of my father's MM.
Ragards

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger