commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
9 Commando Roll Of Honour Now On Site  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Everyone
9 Commando ROH now on site
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John,

I have come across the following commando (CWGC) who is recognised as being with No 8 Commando.

Pte Miller John
East Surrey Regt
No8 Commando
Fell 14.06.42, aged 30
Rangoon Memorial Face 13.

I am curious because information states, 'commando and No 8'. Could this person have been included in another 'Role of Honour' e.g. East Surrey Regt, or is he eligible for our Role ?

Harryj.

Commandos never die, they go elsewhere and 're-group'!
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Harry

Thanks for your input of this info.

Your enquirey raises a question that I think the CVA organization may have to resolve.

The question is what criteria do we accept as evidence of 'Commando' service and therefore qualifying for an entry onto our 'Rolls'.

Obviously criteria could be drawn up but I think this is an issue that the National Committee need to discuss at their next meeting.

Whilst we would in no way want to deny any one entitled to be listed that honor an open forum such as our site could be misused by unscrupulous individuals.

I will raise this point at the next opportunity.........meanwhile I will keep Pte. Miller on the 'to be added' list.

Kindest regards
John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/04/2008 20:16:27

Primus Inter Pares

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John,

It wasn't until I had sent the last message that I realised that a lot of No 8 Commando personnel trained for and joined the SAS. Perhaps Pte Millar is one of these which would possibly solve the problem.

Harryj

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Harry

Certainly No 8 Cdo personell did form into the SAS but as I understand it they were operating around Libya and Crete at the time of Pte Millers death.

A riddle to be sure?

Can anyone help here?

Regards
John M

Primus Inter Pares

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi All, fortunately 6139215 Pte John Miller No 8 Cdo (formerly E Surreys), killed in Burma, is already on our CVA Master list (source: Cdo RoH).

With regard to the inclusion of names onto the CVA lists, we do have a suitable system in place, for both Rolls of Honour and They Also Served lists. The Roll of Honour is not too difficult as the very great majority of those who fell are listed at some point in the Commando analls of 40-45, and afterwards. To be added to the CVA Commando Rolls of Honour, very firm evidence would be a must, and in the very rare occasion that we would be presented with a request for an addition, I think that those requesting the addition would certainly be in possession of this evidence. Our They Also Served lists are slightly more difficult in that the nominal rolls were not always available or maybe accurate. We have many sources of information, whether the Cdo RoH, the Cdo Gallantry Awards, the Commando Association Newsletters and Lost Legion Lists, fellow veterans (Bob Bishop), families, books, websites etc etc. and we have to take all of our sources at face value. Credible evidence is obviously a criteria, but as the years go by, the credible evidence becomes much less available. This aside, we feel that once we put all of our pieces of the jigsaw together (which is taking longer than we imagined) we will have a very substantial and accurate list, one that can be used as a very useful source of info for families and researchers for many years to come.

Names can only be added to these lists by presenting them to the CVA for consideration.

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/05/2008 22:21:09

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks Geoff

The ROH's are really important and it's nice to know the criteria for an inclusion.

The riddle remains but purely an academic one of why Pte Miller was in Burma when his unit were in the Libya area.

I suppose secondment is a possible answer. But in true military tradition I don't think we will ever know for sure :D

Regards
johnM

Primus Inter Pares

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Geoff. If I find anything new I'll pass it onto 'also served'.

Harryj

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Greetings Everyone:

Regarding the inclusion of Pte. John Miller on the RoH of No. 8 Commando. I did not add his name to that list because records of COHQ note that No. 8 Commando was disbanded nine months prior to this soldier becoming a casualty in Burma on June 14, 1942. I reasoned that if No. 8 Cdo had not existed at the time of John's death, then he was not a casualty of that unit.

Is it possible that after the disbandment of the 'Layforce' Commandos that Pte. Miller was one of the volunteers from the former No. 7 and No. 8 Commandos for 'Mission 204' which was sent to Burma from the MEF to help the Chinese Forces?

If he was a part of '204' that would explain his demise location. For the record, '204' had K.I.A.s reported in the months of May and June 1942 which is all seemingly time-related.

John is not resting in a cemetery. His remains were never recovered by the CWGC. As to his place on any particular unit's RoH, I think it is now up to Geoff and the CVA Board to determine that.

Kindest regards.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/2008 20:31:57

Harry Jackson
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Bob.

Harryj

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger