commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Oct' 5th, Littlehampton, 30 Cdo unit presented with Freedom of town  XML
Forum Index » General Events
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

October 5, Littlehampton Town Council will present modern day 30 Commando unit with Freedom of town

Early in 1944, Littlehampton became the base for a special Royal Marine Commando Unit called the 30 Assault Unit.

The 30 Assault Unit, although existing in embryo form from the days soon after the Crete assault and operating on the long lines of the Long Range Desert Group in the North African campaigns, did not become a recognisable Royal Marines Unit until February 1944.

Various pictures and information about 30AU

http://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/news/fleming-s-red-indians-special-royal-marine-commando-unit-1-5326845

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/10/2013 19:50:35

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Follow up:

A Royal Marines unit named after the commandos who inspired Ian Fleming to create James Bond has received the freedom of a West Sussex town.

Troops from the 30 Commando Unit IX Group Royal Marines received the honour before marching through Littlehampton led by their band.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24398930

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Harry Kelly Veteran of 30AU Naval wing was a VIP guest at the event. Photo courtesy of his son Simon
[Thumb - Harry Kelly 30AU.jpg]
 Filename Harry Kelly 30AU.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 513 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  632 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we are advised by Simon Kadwill of the recent death of his father Harry Kelly who is pictured above. Harry passed away peacefully in his sleep at his favourite hospital with his son at his side on the 27th November 2013. Our condolences to Simon and his Mum and all the family and friends

Rest in peace Harry

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/11/2013 23:09:59

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger