commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Request for advice on visiting the National Archives  XML
Forum Index » Tips on Research
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm planning to visit the National Archives in the coming weeks, other than going with a specific documents that you want to search on eg No 5. Commando War Diaries, does anybody have any other tips

If anybody else is interested in visiting in the coming weeks, perhaps we could meetup at the National Archives ?

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/07/2013 13:51:20

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Mark

You'll really enjoy your time down there..........it will be a good experience.

I have not been recently but a few things I would say is give yourself a good day and it wouldn't be a bad idea to pre-order the documents you would like to view......you used to be able to order them the day before your visit..........but I'd check on this first with them.

You can photograph and get copies of any documents you wish to study further........but again give yourself time for this as the wait can be lengthy.

Main advice I can give is be fairly focused on what you want to get out of it..........refreshments are pretty OK too :)

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mark,

As a first time visitor you cannot pre-order the files you need to view but will need to book in and undergo a short induction - this will give you all the instructions & help that you need (although the staff are all very helpful and patient).

At the end of your induction you will get your Reader's Card and instructions how to use it. At this stage you can order your files - my advice is to order three files and then go for a cup of tea as there can be a wait of 30 minutes before your files are delivered.
When you order the files you are given the option of chosing a table/desk, you will be asked if you are going to take photos and, if you are, they will try and give you a table by the windows.
Your files will be delivered to a safe box bearing the number of your allocated table/desk (ie 46D).
You obviously can take photos of the files and there is no charge for this.
You may also use the Camera and stand set up and email the images to your own account - again for free.
You can also ask to obtain copies made by the staff - this will cost you!

Having finished with your first file, return it to the desk and now is a good time to order more files - you can be ploughing through your first lot of files whilst you wait for the second consignment, and so on through the day.

My key advice is "prior planning"...
Make a list of the NA file reference numbers, you want to research, BEFORE your visit.
Have them in the order you want to view them.
Take your camera, spare batteries, a note book (it will be checked by the Security Staff) and a couple of sharpened soft pencils (2B or 4B).

For your subsequent visits to the NA (and you will want to return), you can book a table and pre-order the files you want one day in advance - so they will be there waiting for you.

Don't think I've missed anything but if I have here is the link to the NA Website for you to browse.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/

You'll really enjoy your time there...
Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/07/2013 15:31:41

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Some very detailed and useful tips thank you very much. I wanted to get some tips from people such as yourselves who had actually been there, as official guides sometimes leave out important details that make the day go smoothly.

Some official links here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/before-you-visit.htm

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/readers-ticket.htm

I noticed that the National Archive is closed on Mondays as well as Sundays, which is good to know ;-)

Monday ClosedTuesday 9:00 am ? 7:00 pmWednesday 9:00 am ? 5:00 pmThursday 9:00 am ? 7:00 pmFriday 9:00 am ? 5:00 pmSaturday 9:00 am ? 5:00 pmSunday Closed

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/times.htm

Its looking like I will go for one or two days in first or 2nd week full week in August.

Thanks again

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/07/2013 11:11:53

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Link to document of Commando related documents held at the National Archives at Kew
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4086.page#15091

BillP
Forum Member

Hi Mark

As well as any Army links that you want to see also take at look at the Admiralty sub series. Reference No ADM 202/91 is 3 Commando Brigades War Diary from 1st Jan to 31st Dec 1945. Another read is WO 203/1792, this includes a graphic description of the actions at Myebon & Kangaw from the then Major Peter Young.
Cheers
Bill

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947

Forum Index » Tips on Research
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger