commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lieutenant RICHARD SYDNEY CHIVERALL No. 40 R.M. Commando.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
tonyrod
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am researching the 41 RM Commando at Salerno September the 9th 1943 and listed along with 33 from the 41st RM.Commando. buried at Salerno on the CWGC are
Lieut RICHARD SYDNEY CHIVERALL No. 40 R.M. Commando 08/09/1943
HUBBARD GR PO/X 116193 40 RM COMMANDO 08/09/1943
JAGGARD P CH/X 111786 40 RM COMMANDO 09/09/1943

where they attached to the 41 RM Commando any information greatly appreciated . tonyrod
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Tony

I understand why you ask this questions as No.3 Commando and 40RM Commando were not as Units involved with the landings at Salerno. I personally have have no definitive answer but there is one notable fact that I can see and that is the dates of death being 8th September with one dying of wounds on the 9th September. The Commando landings at Salerno took place in the very early hours of the 9th September about 3.30am. Subsequent Commando casualties at Salerno happened after this date. 40RM Cdo and No.3 Cdo were at Reggio and did not take part in the Salerno landings. However there had been action near there just 5 days before - Operation Baytown. Many of the allied dead from that action commencing 2/3rd Sept. are also buried at Salerno. The first fatal casualty for No.2 Commando happened at 12 noon on the 9th - that of Lt. Lea GM:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Italy/salerno/c+w+lea+GM+2+cdo.jpg.html

So as far as I can see they were either killed in some action near Reggio, or I have seen reference to a landing at 'Porto Venere' on 7/8th September 1943:

http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/allied/dorsetregiment.php#sthash.ZZXK72BT.dpuf

The CWGC records a lot of casualties on the 8th September 1943:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/07/2013 12:59:15

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
tonyrod
Forum Member
[Avatar]

cheers PETE,
from my notes I have, the Prins Albert LSI (small) September 9th 1943 Salerno
]The two commando unit ]were embarked on Prins Albert and 3 other British LSI?s. the hms Blackmore began the shell barrage on the coastal battery at Vietri. The commandos secured the deserted beach, and the coastal battery surrendered without much of a fight. The commando force was made up of No.2 Army Commandos (Churchill), 41 Commandos Royal Marine (Lt. Col Bertie Lumsden) they were commanded overall by Brigadier Bob Laycock, the 41 Commandos I believe where landed from the Prins Albert,

7 ROYAL MARINES. DIED ON THE 8TH and buried in Salerno
4 from the HMLCFL 4
1 from the HMS DINOSAUR
plus CHIVERALL and HUBBARD
and JAGGARD who you say dow on the 9th
34 are listed also on the 8th from different regiments and forces,

as you know I am researching all Commando units who sailed on the Prins Albert, so I will be asking more questions but only 1 at a time, :D thank you for your help PETE,, tonyrod

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/07/2013 20:31:34

[WWW]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If anybody can tell me if any of No.4 were present, I'd very much appreciate it. How would I find out if somebody from No4 volunteered and was attached to, say, No.2?

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger