commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dad`s Commando Training  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
BillP
Forum Member

Hi all I have been researching my Dad`s service with the Royal Marines from June 1935 to Aug 1947, i`m looking for any help with the following blank in my search. I want to know where my Dad did his Commando training. As seems to be the way all I started with was a few one liners and off the cuff remarks that he`d come out with. So it`s been a case of join the dots and try to prove them correct. Happily this has been the case so far. Dad did say that he wasn`t at Achnacarry but Invarary I believe. He would talk of speed marches and burning calf muscles and repairing grouse shooting huts! I understand that there are no official records of who trained where. Dad did his training in 1943 and was accepted as a Commando in October 1943 into 3 Troop Royal Marine Engineer Commano part of the then 3 Special Service Brigade later 3 Commando Brigade.
I`m off in a couple of days to visit the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge and the Commando Exhibition at Fort William so any help would be welcome. I can provide more info about Dad if that helps or is of interest. Many Thanks.

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bill

Hope you have a great time up at Fort William. We as an Association meet up there each November for the Remembrance Services. Don't forget to visit the Spean Bridge Hotel where they have a museum , and also the Clan Cameron Museum which has some Commando photos and memorabilia. Hopefully we can one day get it all in the one place at the West Highland Museum. Some time ago I added a bit of information in one of our galleries about the RM Engineer Commando but have had no photos at all to post so it sits there awaiting so to speak. If and when I receive any input I will relocate the album from the Misc section into its own. At present it can be seen here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/Miscellaneous/

I would be interested to know what information you have and perhaps would be prepared to share with us. When you are back home perhaps you could contact me by email via the Contact Us section on the menu on the left of the screen

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Hi
Just returned from visiting the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, very moving and brought back some great personal memories. I also went to see the Commando Museum in the Spean Bridge Hotel. In there I saw on the wall 2 A4 lists of when certain units did their training. I may be mistaken but I thought i`d seen this before. Does anyone know if it is available on this site or anywhere else?
Cheers
Bill

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bill,
Yes those lists are on this Site somewhere - I'll have a look for them

Nick

Here they are :D

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Commando+Training/courses/

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/07/2013 23:41:53

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Thanks Nic
Graham put me on to them as well
Regards
Bill

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bill,
Have you heard of the 3rd Jungle Book - it was the 3 Cdo Brigade 'magazine'?

In Issue No9, March 1946, 3 Troop Royal Marine Engineer Commando have a brief write-up and in it states: 'Sgt Pirie got his well deserved MM'.
No other details I'm afraid but I thought you might appreciate it.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Hi Nic
Yes that`s Dad. I was leant a copy of issue 9 a few years back by a guy called Ted Sym who sadly, is no longer with us, he was with No 44 RM Commando at Myebon and Kangaw, Never got to meet him but spoke to him on the phone a couple of times. It was Dad`s award that started my search. I was asked what he got it for and I had no idea as Dad wouldn`t talk about it. Thanks for the info Nic.
Regards
Bill

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger