commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
BEASLEY, FREDERICK Cpl 7th Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
harribobs
Forum Member

Gentlemen ( and Ladies)

Thank you for looking at this post, I run a site and forum dedicated to The Manchester Regiment www.themanchesters.org

For many years I have known of Cpl Frederick Beasley 3532735 who was KIA in the battle of Crete, which I also have an interest in. I am trying to get a little more information on Fred for a memorial on our site, I am not related and therefore assume i would be unable to get his service record from the VA

I can see his name coming up in a gallery search but I am just getting an error message from the site when I click on it

Rgn/Sqn No: 7th Commando
Name of Rgt : Manchester Rgt
Died: 01/06/1941 Age: 22
How Died: Killed in Action
Country of burial: Crete
Cemetery or Memorial: Suda Bay Cem

I have visited his grave on many occasions and have many photos of Suda Bay Cemetery

Also if anyone could guide me to any information on the actions of 7th commando in the BOC I would be grateful

Thanks

Chris

?It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
to serve as a warning to others."
[WWW]
harribobs
Forum Member

I should add that i also know he worked for Metro Vickers in Trafford Park ( Later it was called AEI Ltd)

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

The gallery is not available temporarily. Should be back soon. I will track down the photo you are looking for as soon as I can. See also this forum link:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4029.page

Have you read the book Middle East Commando by Charles Messenger. Worthwhile doing so.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
harribobs
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply, Did Sarah get you the photos of the headstones?

I do know Charles through the Great War Forum and I will get his book through Amazon or the inter-library system

I was going to post some photos of Crete which may have been of interest but for some reason they won't load

Best regards

Chris

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/07/2013 23:47:13

[WWW]
sjb007
Forum Member

Hi Chris and welcome

I haven't been to Crete yet, but am going soon.

I would love to see your photos of Crete when you are able to load them. I am also interested in No. 7 in Crete but haven't had time to do any research yet.

Best wishes
Sarah
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris,
there are a few books available which feature 7 Commando (also known as A Battalion within Layforce). Included amongst them are as follows;
H.W. Wynter - Special Forces in the Desert War 1940 - 1943
Stuart Allan - Commando Country
Robin Hunter - True Stories of the Commandos
Michael Davie - The Diaries of Evelyn Waugh
There are of course others which mention them as well
John Parker - Commandos
For a general view of the fighting on the island there are two I would recommend;
Anthony Beevor - Crete the Battle and the Resistance
Callum MacDonald - The Lost Battle Crete 1941
There is a link on this site to recordings at the IWM archive which feature men not only from 7 Commando but also others from Layforce, one of great interest is the one made by Dougie Arnold.
As for their War Diary the period from Formation until I think November 1940 is available at the National Archives I did trawl through their files on line some time ago to try to find the period until their disbandment and eventually after having no luck I emailed an enquiry and the received a reply that they also couldn't find it so i'm not sure if it exists.
There are a few websites which cover Crete but most if in remember correctly do not really go into any great detail concerning 7 Commando.
There was a documentary made called Lucky Escapes from World War 2 which included the Crete fighting so it could be worth checking it out although from what I remember of it from when I saw it on Yestereday or what ever the TV channel is called these days it mainly dealt with Laycock.

My grandfather served for a short period in the Manchester's, he was originally in the North Staffs Yeomanry before going onto the Manchester's in 1904 he was then transferred to the Kings Own until his service was up, he was recalled in 1914 and fought throughout the Great War with this regiment. I've often wondered why he was transferred.

Hope this will be of some use to you.
Kind regards,
Alan Orton.
harribobs
Forum Member

Alan

thanks for the reply, I have realised the answer was starring me in the face, 7th Commando was part of Layforce and is referred to as Layforce in just about every record

I have Beavor's and Macdonals's books thank, I will have a look for the others you've mentioned

again thank you

Re -Your Grandfather, just to clarify which regiment did he serve with in the Great War?

cheers

Chris

[WWW]
harribobs
Forum Member

sjb007 wrote:Hi Chris and welcome

I haven't been to Crete yet, but am going soon.

I would love to see your photos of Crete when you are able to load them. I am also interested in No. 7 in Crete but haven't had time to do any research yet.

Best wishes
Sarah

Hi Sarah

I am sure you will love Crete, I do!! I have just loaded some pictures from Operation Mercury on my Flickr site. They are all taken being the germans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harribobs

there's also a set of current day Crete photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harribobs/sets/72157600450303717/

Cheers

Chris

[WWW]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris,
He served in the 1st Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment throughout the Great War.
Kind regards,
Alan.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As it happens we now have a photo of Corporal Beasley's grave. Sarah it would be nice if you can get another just so as we can compare quality. Here is the link to his grave:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+Graves+Greece/Beazley+-+7+Cdo.jpg.html

In Memory of 3532735 Corporal Frederick Beasley
Manchester Regiment and No. 7, Commando
who died age 22, between 01 June 1941 and 02 June 1941
Remembered with honour at Suda Bay War Cemetery

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
harribobs
Forum Member

Hi Alan

I just wasn't quite sure, if you want me to look into his time in the Manchesters, let me know his name and SN(no promises though)

re Fred

I spent the afternoon reviewing Davin's 'Crete' with particular reference to Layforce and their rearguard defense of the retreat to Sfakia, In my own defense, the id of 7th commando is never used. Layforce was the last to arrive at the outer defense to the Sfakia harbour on the Imbros Gorge and had to decide which few would be allowed to embark. The last boats left at 2.45am on the 1st June 1941, amongst them 2 officers and 25 ORs of Layforce

Fred's death is recorded as being between 1st and the 2nd of June either during or after the surrender, as in any situation like this, none of any units ever find out the fighting is over together.

Thank you everybody for the help and guidance

Chris

[WWW]
harribobs
Forum Member

Just adding some further Information which may help others searching for similar information

7th Commando was designated A battalion in Layforce

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

Here is a previous forum message with some more info and links:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1768.page

The link to the No.7 Commando history section is here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/mambots/editors/fckeditor/editor/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=

and a link to an article by Sgt Frederick Birch on his role during the Rommel raid is here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Letters/Recollections+of+the+Rommel+Raid.jpg.html

All the best

Pete

[Email]
harribobs
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thank for the additional information, I'm very grateful!

I'm learning all the time on this!

Chris

[WWW]
harribobs
Forum Member

Pete wrote:As it happens we now have a photo of Corporal Beasley's grave. Sarah it would be nice if you can get another just so as we can compare quality. Here is the link to his grave:

In Memory of 3532735 Corporal Frederick Beasley
Manchester Regiment and No. 7, Commando
who died age 22, between 01 June 1941 and 02 June 1941
Remembered with honour at Suda Bay War Cemetery

I do apologise but I missed your post about Fred's grave, I don't know when the forum's photo was taken, I assume it must have been in winter when the rain had splashed the stone with the red soil of Suda Bay's cemetery. The staff there are fully committed to keeping the place in perfect condition

[Thumb - fred beasley.jpg]
 Filename fred beasley.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Fred
 Filesize 172 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  371 time(s)

[WWW]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger