commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Green Beret cap badge backing  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
Further to a previous discussion regarding the origins of the green beret.

At the National Archives there is a file WO 32/ 10494, which covers some of the planing and production and adaptation of the green beret,interestingly there are a couple of letter covering cloth cap badge backings for the beret.
1 Cdo Deep Crimson
2 Cdo Black
3 Cdo Navy Blue
4 Cdo Powder Blue
6 Cdo White
9 Cdo Lt Blue, Laycock suggested Tartan
10 Cdo Brown
12 Cdo Saffron
Royal Marines Wine, Laycock suggested blank
SBS Grey
CBTC Locheil tartan subject to Lord Locheil approval
Brigade HQ Buff

Can anyone say if this was ever implemented,a quick look at the history of the green beret in the forum I noticed No2 Cdo beret had a black backing, No 5 Cdo having red.

Any comments please
Graham.

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

This has been covered on here before, the suggestion was never implemented but the felt was ordered and subsequently returned to the WD central stores and was turned into arms of service strips for regular troops. Documents to this effect are in the same file at the NA.

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Paul,
Thanks for the answer ,re reading the back numbers in the forum I found your research on the subject,certainly answers my question.
Thanks
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Glad you found it Graham, sorry I couldn't be bothered to search for it! :)

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger