commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Anthony (Tony) Irving  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
K Phillips
Forum Member

Hi,
I am looking for the following information on my Papa Anthony (Tony) Irving who was in No 4 Commando D Troop, i beleive his number was 4205846.
What regiment was he in prior to joining the Commando's?
Was he involved in the Commando raid at Dieppe?

Any other information would be gratefully appreciated.

Rgds Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/06/2013 18:13:56

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin

Welcome to the CVA forum,

From the number given above it looks like it was allocated from the Royal Welch Fusiliers 4178001 - 4256000.

I'm sure someone will come along soon who has more knowledge of 4 Commando who can shed more light.

Good luck

Regards Vic
K Phillips
Forum Member

Hi Vic,
Thanks for the quick response and thanks for the info .

Kevin
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin,

To be honest, the best source of information would be your father's service records. These are available, for a fee of £30, from the MoD and will give you a great deal of information about your father including date of enlistment, parent regiment, training, date of transfer to Commandos, postings, theatres of operations, promotions (and demotions), wounds, hospitalisation etc.
Once you have that information you can look at the broader picture and work out where your father at a particular time.

If you want to follow this route, I can forward the appropriate forms to you (the MoD office concerned is particularly busy dealing with current welfare issues, so there is a wait of up to 12 months).

In the meantime, if you have any photos of your father that you would like to share with us, we would be honoured to upload them to the Gallery where he can be amongst his old colleagues once again.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
K Phillips
Forum Member

Hi Nick ,
Sorry for any confusion but it's actually my grandpa ....
If you could forward the necessary forms that would be great.
There is already a few pictures on the site of which my grandpa is in which is nice and I plan on adding some of my own very soon.

Kevin
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin,
Sorry about the misunderstanding about your grandfather.
Below are the links to the necessary forms - if there are any questions please feel free to ask.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/142473/request_for_service_details_nok_application_part1_v5_1_.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/142479/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

I'm pleased that you have found your grandfather in some of the photos in the Gallery - if you can point them out we can add your grandfather's name to the captions.

cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
CARMIC
Forum Member

Hello Kevin,

In reply, albeit 5 years after your original posting, regarding your grandad Tony Irving (who was my uncle, his sister Frances Jean was my mother). Tony's full name was Michael Antony Irving, I was named after him. Tony didn't serve at Dieppe as he was in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1942. In 2008 I visited the IWM in London and read the nominal roll of No 4 Commando for the Dieppe Raid, no member of No 4 named IRVING was listed on the roll. As you know he served on D-Day and in the attack on Flushing (Antwerp).

Cheers,

Michael Carr
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Michael

The whole of No 4 Commando did not go on the Dieppe raid.

Hope you get further with your searches.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger