commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George M Capper - No 11 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Sir:

Attached is a photograph of GEORGE M. CAPPER, The Black Watch RHR, who was my uncle and joined the Commandos, possibly in 1940 through 1942?, until he returned to his Regiment and participated in the Chindit campaign in Burma. I believe he was a member of the 11 Scottish Commando during this period and could have been at the Litani River mission and in Operation Flipper as part of Layforce. I believe he might have been on Talisman since, if he in effect was there, he must have been among those unable to land, as he was not captured or killed and was not, of course, one of the only three known survivors.

I would very much appreciate your confirming the above stated facts and the sharing of any information you may have on his service. I would be happy to make a contributon to the CVT to cover the cost of of this enquiry and, if any photographs or documents should be available, to pay for their copies.

Thank you very much for your assistance and my best wishes to all survivors of those epic days.

George Franco
[email protected]
[Thumb - George M Capper.jpg]
 Filename George M Capper.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  544 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/06/2013 17:36:44

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello George,
I had a look at a nominal roll for operation Flipper but it only consists of those men who landed and doesn't include the 30 odd troops who couldn't, Laycock's report holds nothing either.
If he did serve with No.11 then I believe he may well have been in No.9 Troop and would have been with Keyes's X Party which landed at the Litani river.
2nd Black Watch served in the Chindits so this could possibly have been the Btn. he went to, they were already in the Middle East and served in Somaliland, Crete and also during the siege of Tobruk before going on to the far East to be trained as Chindits.

Alan.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger