commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George Harris - No.4 - Italy  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was wondering where to put this - hope it's the right place.

I would really love to know what my dad was doing in Italy and when. I reckon he'd volunteered (again) and been attached to another Unit. My guess is Salerno as I think I can recall him mentioning that place ... he also said (I think) that he was 'around' the Monte Cassino area. I've been trying to find lists of those who died in that area - maybe other No.4s are mentioned. Hope not, but it would give a clue as to whether others were there or not.
I suppose he might have gone there with No.10 Independent Company, around the time he'd gone over for the Operation Menace 'event' that didn't quite 'happen'.
If anybody's in the company of other No.4s or those who were in Italy ... please ask them if they know.
Meanwhile, I'll have another look at his Service Records. It's driving me nuts - well, more nuts - trying to work it out. :D

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just come across this ... I DID find out. He was, indeed, in Salerno in '43 - at the 'Pimple' with No.2.

Would still love to hear from anyone who was there with him ... or elsewhere.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger