commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
IWM online catalogue  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I recently came across a sight called Colonial Film Moving Images Of The British Empire that described a film made during the war called "Christmas on The Indo China Border" Dec 1944, see link below. As you will see from the link the film is almost certainly of No1 Commando, it also states that the film is held in the IWM Film archive and includes the ID No of the film.

http://www.colonialfilm.org.uk/node/2724

I have now consequently contacted Mathew Lee who is the curator of the IWM film archive concerning this film, he has informed me that it can be copied to DVD for £30. I am therefore going to order this ASAP in the hope that it perhaps contains my father. Coincidentally when I recently visited Idris Jones of No1 he gave me a really nice Air mail Christmas message letter that he sent to his mother in 1944, so maybe this is a good omen.

Matt Lee also stated:

"We hold a number of films in the collection relating to the role of commandos during the Second World War and we have provided hundreds of films to veterans and their families. I would therefore recommend having a look on our online database: www.iwmcollections.org.uk and getting back to me if you find any further films that are relevant. "

I don't know if this IWM site is already on the CVA, but just in case it is not I have included it with this message.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=commando&submit=&items_per_page=10

In the above link I have already typed in the general search topic Commando, you could of course be more specific and see what happens.
I will keep you informed on the outcome of the film ie if my father is in it.

Cheers for now Andy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/05/2013 22:59:59

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

It will me most interesting to see what the film contains..........makes you wonder if we will be able to ID anyone.

Keep us posted..........great find.

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

BillP
Forum Member

Hi Andy
I went to view some of the film archive at the IWM with reference to 3 Commando Brigades landings at Myebon. I purchased FUB 63 and FUB 69/01. Well worth the visit, didn`t get to see my Father as I hoped but good film of No`s 1 and No 44 RM Cdo`s on the run in and the wade ashore. Also men of 3 Troop RM Engineer Commando lifting beach mines after the initial landings.
Cheers
BillP

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger