commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No1 Commando Salamander Shoulder Title  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Were these shoulder titles "handed" left and right as the Combined Ops titles are handed.
My father has his on the left shoulder whilst Idris Jones wears his on the right, (I do realise that its not possible to see both sides at once). All the titles I have seen seem to be facing the same way i.e head to the left.

Hwyl
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin

They were worn in pairs, but I have never seen either an actual badge or a photograph of one where the salamander is facing to the right. This leads me to believe that the badges were not 'sided' and all face to the left. You never know though, someone might find one in a loft one day! :D

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin

The answer to this question is contained in our Gallery, as we actually have a pair of these emblems that belonged to Ashton Horner (see attached link). As you can see they were not handed, that is mirror images of eachother, in Ashton Horner's insignia both of the Salamanders face the same direction ie Left.
Of course Ashton could have been incorrectly issued with two left facing sallys and just lived with the mistake, although I doubt the mistake would have gone unoticed for long.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/1+Cdo/

Cheers Andy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/05/2013 23:04:09

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Andy

Kevin

JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kevin,

I have had two examples in. my collection and both left facing.

101 boat troop also did not wear handed pairs I believe.

I love the picture of your dad what a great character.

Cheers,
JB
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks JB, dad a tough cookie, but for me I was too young at the time to really ask any questions, and unfortunately he died when I was nineteen, there you go.
Cheers
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/08/2013 20:20:59

JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Kevin,

Thanks for your kind reply, you can be proud of your father.

The subject of this thread is shoulder titles, I usually refer to the salamander badge as an arm badge or formation sign as there was also a shoulder title kakhi with green lettering 1 Commando although in the beginning you see only the Salamander badge as well. Your dad has black white 1 shoulder epaullettes in addition a black white commando title and the salamander , this is the only picture where I have seen a black white 1 on the epaulette.

Arguably the Salamander badge is one of the most attractive badges worn by the army commandos (in my humble opinion)

Cheers,

JB

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/08/2013 23:12:33

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I also believe that the Salamander looks the part, and have also noticed that the commando and 1 above seems different to others seen. Andy Maines may be able to add to this post as his father joined No.1 Commando at the same time. My father mentioned that his HQ was Plymouth Argyle F.C. prior to his posting north and billiting in Irvine?
Kevin

JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin,

I assume the picture was taken before the introduction of the khaki green 1 commando title. Some do not wear any shoulder title in that period only the Sally like Idris. The black white commando shoulder title "commando" was worn by more commando units in the early days like 2 commando.

Interested to hear views Andy.

Cheers,
JB

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/08/2013 09:45:24

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi chaps
First of all I have to agree that I think that the No1 sally insignia was the most attractive of all the Commando insignia used in WWII. I only wish that I had my father's original patches but sadly they are long gone.
Sorry can't help with the shoulder title query, however I am due to see Idris in the next couple of weeks so I will ask him if he can shed any light on this question.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger