commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Ian (Guy) Gibson, 45 RM Cdo  XML
Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Ians_Lad
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Did anyone here serve with my father, Ian Gibson from Bolton? His nickname was Guy, unsurprisingly.

He was a radio op with 45 from 1956-58, and served in Libya, Malta and Cyprus. I have a few photos of his service days, and some he took on patrol on Cyprus, including one of a very ally-looking bren gunner with an EOKA wristlet.

He died a few years ago, and although he was a teacher for 25 years, he always remembered his time in the Commandos with great fondness.

It took him a while to get over his PTSD, so something must have happened on Cyprus to affect him badly. If anyone has any clues, I'd appreciate hearing them. He was in tears when I marched off the square at Sandhurst, and I never did think that they were tears of joy.

Any memories would be appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 21:37:29

Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger