commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information on 4 troop 2 commando member 'ALDRED'  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
CJAldred
Forum Member

Hi, I have been looking for records on my grandfather, who served in world war 2 but of whom I have no records of and unfortunately no one alive to ask about. He did not discuss his role in the war at all after it was over.

I have reason to believe he could be the 'Aldred' mentioned in the following two pictures, I currently have no photographs of him as he died fairly shortly after WW2 and I have no access to any family members old photos (living abroad) to directly compare.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/4+troop/4+troop+2cdo_001.jpg.html

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/4+troop/4+troop+2cdo+1941.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

He does not appear in any further descriptions and is not labelled in any other photos.

If anyone has information on this person could they please post it here as I would love to confirm if this is indeed my grandfather
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi CJ,

Welcome to the CVA forum.

Do you have any other details for your Grandfather i.e. christian names, where he was from/lived etc?

Regards

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
CJAldred
Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

His name was William Stanley Aldred, he lived in Lambeth, London his whole life apart from the war. All he ever told my grandmother was that he was in a group that operated behind enemy lines, and that he trained in scotland, which are the things that have lead me to this forum.

I deliberately withheld the forenames hoping that someone would say it thereby confirming or otherwise my suspicions. But I guess it is helpful for people to know the christian names.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

CJAldred
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have a note of an Aldred who served in No.2 Commando. He is shown as L/Sgt. Jack Aldred. However his next of kin are shown as from Bolton. This initial ties in with the J. Aldred shown on the website. Of course there may well have been another with that surname

With a little bit of research on sites such as Ancestry (which has 14 day free trial offer ) you should be able to find his address at the time of any enlistment. This will help if you decide to go down the line of attempting to obtain his Army Service Records. I wish you good luck in that search

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger