commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Auxiliary Units  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm on a roll here, twice in as many days.

Thought I'd keep this here cos I don't know where else it would go. Anybody heard of Auxiliary Units that were formed at the same time as Commandos? Is there something on this Forum that I've missed?

A man I work with sent me some photos of underground cellars that were to be used in case we were invaded - and, apparently, the people were trained to very high and exacting standards. I found it all very interesting.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.warlinks.com/pages/auxiliary.html

Eileen, try this link.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's a great link Kevin, thanks.

Eileen, here is a link to a thread that has a couple of links pertaining to the Auxillary Units

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3148.page and in particular Coleshill House - the Auxillary Units' HQ

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/03/2013 16:46:19

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you both, so much!

Some places are right on my doorstep - once the better weather arrives (pffft!) I'll be out there, exploring.

More reading .... great stuff. :)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
JB
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Eileen,

When the SAS came back to the UK in 1944 and formed a brigade and needed reinforcements they recruited a lot of men from the auxiliary units as they were specialized in clandestine actions and many served with the SAS behind enemy lines in France and Germany.

Cheers,
JB
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Marvellous stuff! If I ever knew about this ... I'd forgotten. Thank you.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger