commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Service Records  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Can anybody who has received these remember how they were delivered? Interlink are re-delivering a parcel tomorrow and I can't think of anybody who would be sending me something that couldn't be put through the letterbox ... except ...

Fingers and toes are well and truly crossed. Plays havoc with the typing though ...

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry Eileen - just a plain, boring A4 brown envelope...

hope they arrive soon though as it will open a whole new world for you..

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I also enquired after medals that I know my dad didn't send for at the time.

Excited? Moi? Non! )

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As you were.

Part 2 of an order that hadn't been completed. Voluntary stuff.

Oh well ... I still have it all to look forward to! :)

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Everything comes to he/she who waits ... got them this morning!!! :)

One of the embarkments/disembarkments is crossed out ... I'm away to find out more.

Excited isn't the word!

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great stuff ! Can't wait to hear what you find out.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Does anybody know where 10 Ind Coy went from 28.8.40 - 26.10.40?

Wherever it was, he sailed on M S Sobieski.

East Africa? Is that how he got his Africa Star? :)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/03/2013 22:45:19

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Another very good site I've stumbled upon is the WW2 Talk one - great for finding out about TA days etc. I've found that Dad was probably sent over to West Africa, Operation Menace ... and I think I've sorted out the Italy question.

The bit on the records I wasn't sure about was 'Re-classified 1a wef 15th Nov '43 til, I think, 18/1/44.

Anzio?

He was awarded the 1939/43 Star 18/4/44

By George (how apt) I think I've cracked it! :) No I haven't ... that's the Africa Star.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/04/2013 11:47:13

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Eileen,

If you need a hand to decipher the records, send me a scan and I'll have a look at them for you.
I normally explain all the acronyms, abbreviations and service jargon and transcribe them all so that they're easy to read.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks! Don't hold your breath though - I don't have a scanner these days so it'd have to wait til I visited my brother. Some of the sheets are A3 size ... some with very little written on them.

I've got the hang of the wording, mostly, but there's stuff in the left-hand columns that are to do with official use.

I reckon I've almost sussed the 'Italy' question. I can remember him mentioning a place with 'o' at the end ... was thinking Salerno - he was back home (I think) before Anzio.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Eileen wrote: Some of the sheets are A3 size ... some with very little written on them.

I've got the hang of the wording, mostly, but there's stuff in the left-hand columns that are to do with official use.

Eileen,
The 'stuff' in the left hand column is Part II or Part III Orders - nothing really relevant to you, it just lists the authority of the event.

Part I Orders are short standing and published on a frequent basis (daily), they essentially dictate the routine of a Battalion or Unit on a day to day basis. Pt I Orders will contain, daily trivia such as those who are on duty that day, as well as parade timings and anything else that is deemed necessary, such as Out of Bounds drinking establishments, Doctors appointments etc. They are often superceeded by new Pt I Orders and will not appear on the Service Records.
An example of Pt I Orders is shown here:
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/No5_Pt_1_Orders.jpg.html

Part II Orders are longer standing and are issued less frequently, they generally cover things such as pay, allowances, postings, promotions, absences etc.

Part III Orders are even longer standing and are normally identified by the order serial number and the year (ie 156/45).

The only problem I've experienced with service Records is that each 'clerk' had his own idea of abbreviations/acronyms/shorthand...
For example, some would abbreviate the Holding Operational Commando as HOC, others as HCO - this is an easy one to work out but others have me scratching my head for a while - especially as some of the handwritting left much to be desired which was made worse by the dreadful pens they had to use.

The offer is still open.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger