commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
1614405 John Hurst, No6 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have been advised to add I little more info so if I ramble please excuse me
Late last year I wote to the medals office for my fathers medals I had intended to send for them for years and never got around to it.
When I got them they were for UK service only. i wrote giving brief details of my fathers service with 6commando and they responded with a partial service record that showed no details between late 1943 and his discharged in 1946
When I pointed this out Iwas told that the would not deal with me any further said that it was up to me to prove it and directed to the records office in Glasgow.
After taking stock and discussing it with family members I applied to the records office saying that mt interest lay in the period between the end of1943 and his discharge in 1946.
My dad did not speak about his time with no 6 if he could avoid it. He once said that he had been posted to Achncarry as a cook, got drunk and found out the folling morning that he had joined but I am sure that it was story to placate my mother .

On recieving (finaly) the records I was dispondant to find that records from his enlistment in1940 upto the end of 1943 were were precise ,detailed and easily understood from that point on it was a differant matter. It became difficult to read it was recorded out of sequence and hard to make sense off.

Knowing that he went to Achnacary early 1944 and returned to his unit early in1945 and was discharged in 1946. I was with help of my 2 sons (both former ncos) able to come up with following details.
CTDA TO THIS UNIT ON ATTACHMENT TO ARMY SELECTION TRANING UNIT WEEK ENDING 5 MARCH 1944
AND
sos of admin bn acc on being permanently attached to no 1 transit hq 65 transit camp direct from temp attachment 23.3/45

sorry if I rambled on.
any comments good, bad, or indifferent welcome
keith

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 01/08/2009 07:24:05

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Kieth

Have you tried the following link

http://www.6commando.com/index.html

They have a J Hurst listed in other ranks.

Why not email them and seek more info on their listing?

Hope this is of some use.
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John M wrote:Hello Kieth

Have you tried the following link

http://www.6commando.com/index.html

They have a J Hurst listed in other ranks.

Why not email them and seek more info on their listing?

Hope this is of some use.
Regards
John M

John M,
Tut tut, ) you're not paying attention John - if you notice the photo of Pte John Hurst was submitted by Keith. :D

http://www.6commando.com/Pages/Other%20Ranks/OR%20Pages/H/Hurst%20J/OR%20Hurst%20J.html

I really hope that we find someone to help Keith on this one - it's just downright dispicable that John Hurst's commando service and his right to a campaign medal has been denied.

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 29/03/2008 14:12:24

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger