commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Geoffrey A Knowles  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just come across some photographs and a transcription of an interview with Geoffrey A Knowles who must have served with either 42 or 44 RM Commando.

They are available on the Canadian Memory Project website in English and in French: http://www.thememoryproject.com/stories/578:geoffrey-a-knowles/

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Julie. A summary is Geoffrey talks about being at Achnacarry for 8 weeks, chilling knife fighting in Burma, Changi Prison, war criminals, and Hong Kong.
Being in the Jungle at night must have been pretty nerve racking.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/03/2013 11:27:19

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been informed that Geoffrey Knowles has just recently passed away. More can be read here:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/montrealgazette/obituary.aspx?pid=173288697

Rest in peace Geoffrey.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Julie

This is very interesting as Geoffrey mentions killing with your 'Stiletto knife'.....so some individuals must have retained them as Vic Ralph recited to me that he was never issued one for Burma etc.....but my dad still had his...so I suppose some men must still have had them.

Thanks for this.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger