commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
commando medal  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have been reading with interest all the subjects that people have listed
the one Ifind most interesting was the one on the commando medal.
The only comment I would make is if the mod make it so hard to prove commando status why would the agree to a medal

k hurst
Penrith1
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My Grandfather served in WW2 in Combined Operations ,He was Royal Navy, and became a Navy Commando, he served in Burma at some point. I have his medals along with my Great Granfather from WW1 who was killed Passchendaele, he was a London Fusilier . My Grandfathers Medals of WW2 he has 4 Medals which include Burma Star. I found this Medal doing a search and found it very interesting. Was a Combined Operations WW2 Commando Medal.
[Thumb - 157019827_scarce-ww2-silver-royal-navy-commando-medal-named-to-g-.jpg]
 Filename 157019827_scarce-ww2-silver-royal-navy-commando-medal-named-to-g-.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  640 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guys,

The medal pictured by Penrith1 is not an official medal as issued by the War Office / MoD.
These are unofficial souvenir medals produced for sale by 'enterprising' companies, with no conecction to HM Government, that are happy to make a quick buck from the public.

Veterans often refer to these souvenirs as Chocolate Box Decorations!

See a quote from a previous thread on this subject...

CHOCOLATE BOX DECORATIONS: Soldier Mag ran a very interesting article in Feb 07 with regard to the growing anger over wearing of 'souvenir medals' on Veterans' parades. One such medal is the 'Combined Operations Cross'. To 'qualify' you must have taken part in a form of "inter-Service cooperation in peacetime or active service".
These are an opportunists ware (currently for sale at £40 a shot with miniatures at £20) that depict a Commando fighting knife, clearly aimed at giving it respectability. If purchased they should be kept as a 'commemorative medal' or 'souvenir'. They must not be worn in such a way as to be confused in the public eye with officially-issued campaign and service medals. The Central Chancery ruling is that such medals should not be worn at all. Although these medals have been around for many years, it is the wearing of them that has recently become a problem.
Basically, if it ain't an official operation medal then it is 'Bling'.

There still remains the question on many people's lips, "Why wasn't there a Commando Medal?"
Simple answers are:
Campaign Medals & Stars are awarded for taking part in particular operations - and are not for a specific regiment! There isn't a 'Guards Medal' or a 'Cavalry Medal' - why would there be a Commando Medal...
Even if there was such 'regimental medals,' then it is important to remember that The Commandos were unformed /irregular units and so they still wouldn't qualify for a medal...
To issue everyone with a medal - just for being in a unit - rather detracts from the purpose of a medal, and, besides, there were specific badges (and the green beret) that indicated that they were commandos and/or Combined Ops...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There still remains the question on many people's lips, "Why wasn't there a Commando Medal?"

There is now, and has been for umpteen years. I'm not sure when it was first instigated, but it was certainly in existence when I completed my commando training in 1960.
The recipient in my squad was also awarded the King's Badge for the best all round recruit in the squad.
It is still awarded today, and is definitely an "official" medal, the recipient having been voted for by the rest of troop (as they are now known) and presented by OC CTCRM or a more senior visiting RM officer.
It is a medallion, and is not designed to be worn, not having a clasp or ribbon.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTtYkanyVLfysg9PHIHOIx-WeQdM0abdNWAa0JFEh33AtKXDS1G

The Commando Medal is awarded to the man who throughout training, shows to an outstanding degree, the qualities of the Commando Spirit. These are defined as: Leadership, Unselfishness, Cheerfulness in adversity, Determination, Courage.

There are one or two chocolate box versions around, notably one by Fisher Patton and the Red Baron.
It is probable that the pongoes (sorry, the army) have their own version, too.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 16/02/2020 14:12:37

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Penrith1 wrote:My Grandfather served in WW2 in Combined Operations ,He was Royal Navy, and became a Navy Commando, he served in Burma at some point. I have his medals along with my Great Granfather from WW1 who was killed Passchendaele, he was a London Fusilier.

What was the full name and service number (if known) of your Grandfather ? Please give as much detail regarding his service in the RN Commandos as you have including anything that evidences that service (documents, photos of insignia or where insignia is available, service records, etc) . You can also add a photo of him here.

You can also, if you wish, add the full name of your Great Grandfather who died at Passchendaele, and a photo if you have one. It would be fitting to have them both together here. My Grandfather also served at Passchendaele but survived.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger