commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Funding request for the Army Commando Memorial Wall *** Roll of Honour now funded and in situ ***  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick recently posted this message on Facebook and I would like to add it here:

The magnificent Army Commando Memorial at Alrewas, which was unveiled by HRH Prince Phillip in 2007, has below it an area where we have added individual memorial pavers for those Commandos either killed during WWII or on other operations, or who have passed away in later life.
Something that has been an aspiration for many decades is to have the names of all those Commandos who were killed or died during WWII added to a memorial of their own.
The CVA National Secretary, Geoff Murray, has approached Anwick Forge (who installed the Army Commando Memorial at Alrewas in 2007) to take on this project and so a Memorial Wall, with the names of all those who were killed or died serving with the Army Commandos, has been commissioned. The Wall will also show the names of those who served with the Army Commandos but may have moved on (ie SAS, SBS etc.) before they were killed. The names of those who may have died from their wounds after the War had ended will also be added.
Also, by the time of the CVA Summer Service in June 2013, the paver area of the memorial will have been completely renovated ( by students from the South Staffordshire College, Tamworth).
Any contribution towards this worthy project would be deeply appreciated.

I would simply add that the costs involved are high. We are almost there but additional funding is still needed . We have a large membership now from across the globe. If you feel you can contribute something, no matter how small, and no matter from where you might reside, then please do so. Don't think that others will do it, these additional costs have to be paid, and I know with your help they will be.

Please send Cheques payable to the 'CVA' and write on the back 'Memorial Fund'. the address is as always to CVA HQ, 7 Glebe Close, Ambrosden, Bicester, Oxon. OX25 2LH

The Commando Veterans Association bank account details are on the back page of the latest Dispatches newsletter. If donating by this method please include the reference "Memorial Fund"

Ps. This should really be a job for Sylvie:)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 24/10/2014 22:32:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:The Commando Veterans Association bank account details are on the back page of the latest Dispatches newsletter. If donating by this method please include the reference "Memorial Fund"

For anyone who does not receive a copy of 'Dispatches' (the CVA periodical magazine) and needs to know the Bank details

Please contact me and I'll send you the details.

or

Join the CVA...

Nick :wink:

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Please pass on the details of this message to all whom you think may wish to help out

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There are a lot of people on the Facebook page who are children or grandkids of Commandos and still not in the CVA so do not recieve the Dispatches, Are you on it yet Pete?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen

I am but as you know not a keen facebook follower. Perhaps you could post something to add to Nick's original message on there and just mention that if they need the account details simply to contact Nick, myself, yourself, or anyone with a copy.

Funds are still needed so lets make a big push to get us there as quickly as possible. Spend a little bit less this weekend and send in what you save :)

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/03/2013 13:26:57

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There has been a good response to both Geoff's & my posts on the CVA Facebook Page, with pledges from a number of people and others have contacted me for CVA Bank details.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger