commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
the Green Beret  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
hockhamlain
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have just finished watching another American war film, I noticed the Americans were wearing the Green Beret. I then wondered at what point was the Beret worn by the Military, and who in fact started the different colours for different regiments, were the British first to claim the Green Beret for Elite Troops, were the British first to start wearing the Beret as Headgear for soldiers and why, just another fascinating thought, I'm sure this can be answered by some-one out there.
Regards Ron
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

The Green Beret has been worn by many nations armies and even terrorist organisations throughout the years. However it was first worn by the British Army Commandos, specifically No 1 Commando prior to Operation Torch in November 1942. See our Features link for more details. Although US Rangers trained at Achnacarry and served proudly alongside our Commandos during the war, they did not start to wear the Green Beret until the mid 50s, only becoming offical after a visit by President Kennedy in 1961.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/03/2008 23:52:31

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger