commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Leonard Thomas Jackman No.3 Cdo kia Dieppe  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
jayh
Forum Member

Hi there!

I am looking for any information on my great uncle ,Leonard Thomas Jackman who was killed at Dieppe on the 19th August 1942 ,I know he has no known grave and that he was with 3 commando ,but what I would really like is a picture of him ! as none of my family members know of one that exists ?
So please if anyone has a photo either in a group or of him on his own I would be most grateful if they could let me know .Also any other information people may have would be most welcome ,many thanks in advance Jason

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/01/2013 22:19:32

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jayh.... We have many photos of No.3 Commando but sadly none where the name Jackman has been identified (there are many who are yet to be identified). If ever one does come to light I will add a link to this forum message which will generate an automated message to the email you registered on the forum with.

In Memory of 4620615 Private Leonard Thomas Jackman
Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) and No.3 Commando
who died on the 19th August 1942 aged 22
Remembered with honour Brookwood Memorial

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/01/2013 22:18:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
jayh
Forum Member

Hi Pete

many thanks for the reply ,i really hope someone can help!
Stu
Forum Member

Hi Jason

I believe that Len Jackman and my Grandfather Stan Hailes joined No. 3 Commando on its first day.

Stan once told me that a small group of volunteers from the Duke of Wellington's were marched to the parade by Sgt Hobson.

The group included:

4619717 'Buck' Caten
4620586 'Rasher' Gammond
4620600 Stan Hailes
4620615 Len Jackman
4620637 F McCaffery

With the exception of Sgt Hobson all these Dirty Dukes went into the same troop. At first it was called B Troop but it soon became 1Troop.

Stan, Len and Mac all landed at Yellow 1 under Lt Len Druce. The rest of 1Troop didn't land.
Stan and Mac ended up in Lamsdorf POW camp and Stan's first letter home asks my Grandmother to find out what happened to the rest of the troop. In the letter he says "Jackman is missing to us even though he landed".

Regards
Stuart
jayh
Forum Member

Hi Stu

many thanks for the extra information! I was only discussing with my mum this morning wondering if he actually made it too the beach now you have confirmed he did,

Do you still have the letter that your grandfather sent to your grandmother? or any other letters or documentation that mentions len ?If so what would be the chances of sending me a copy? If not i can totally understand as these are probably very personal items to you and your family.

Many Thanks in Advance jason
Stu
Forum Member

Hi Jason

I do still have the letter but my previous post lifted the only direct mention of Len from it.
My Grandmother was due to give birth a week or so after the raid so I'm sure you can appreciate that most of the letters' contents are highly personal.

While I cannot say much more directly about Len I do know a bit about the early years of 1 Troop if you want some of the wider context.

I know the names of those from 1 Troop who landed at Dieppe and many of the rest who did not.

Regards
Stuart
jayh
Forum Member

Hi Stuart

I totally understand !
If you have any other Information you could share with me with regards to 1 troop i would be very grateful

Many thanks Jason
jayh
Forum Member

Can I just say a massive thank you to Stuart for the picture he sent me of Leonard today and for the other info he has given me !

All the best Jason
GUY
Forum Member

Stuart, I wondered if you knew if Corporal L. Newell who was KIA at Berneval was in 1 Troop?
Many thanks in advance
Guy
Stu
Forum Member

5180893 L/Cpl Leonard Thomas Newall, Worcester Regt.
KIA 19/8/42, buried Avon View, Bristol

Sorry to say I do not know which troop he was in
Stuart

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger