commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
11259913 John Purdie (Gunner) No 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
bobpu
Forum Member

My father, who died a few years ago, was always reluctant to discuss his wartime experiences. I would like to track down any information available on him which could help to develop an understanding of his time in the Commandos.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I would begin by applying for a copy of his Service Record. Click on this link to do so:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Three books I recommend with detail about No.3 Commando:

Storm from the Sea by Peter Young:
Commando - Memoirs of a Fighting Commando in WW2 by Brig. John Durnford-Slater;
Fighting with the Commandos by Stan Scott

Have a good look through our No.3 Commando galleries where we have almost 300 photos purely relating to No.3 Commando:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/

Finally do you have any photos or documents relating to your Father's time in No.3 Commando. If so contact me by email below with a view to an entry for your father in our No.3 Commando gallery

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bobpu
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply and help. I have applied for my father's service record and received a response today saying that it may take up to a year to provide the information currently.
I'll be back in touch when it arrives.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger