commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Due to the concerns expressed by two members about Avatar rankings I have brought this to the attention of the Administrators and other Moderators of this group for consideration. If others have similar concerns please add them below. The messages below are transferred from the original where it had gone slightly off topic I have left the bit about the dogs in :)

31/12/2012 22:21:32 Subject: Re:William Day
williamsnephew
Forum Lance Corporal

Eileen wrote:
I've found this topic fascinating - so glad that you've found so much out about your uncle.

I've been promoted to Sergeant but I, too, would like to go back to being a Lance Corporal ... if possible ... that's what rank my dad held.

Hello, I have asked whether any mechanism exists for the forum rank to be amended and permanent set at Lance Corporal in both our instances, fingers crossed 'eh?

Very best wishes for 2013.

Regards, Matthew

31/12/2012 22:31:31 Subject: Re:William Day
Eileen
Forum Sergeant

Mikey and I had a bit of a giggle when we kept being promoted ... but yes, Lance Corporal would suit me just fine. I was never sure about dad's rank - although he and mam had mentioned it - until I re-read his booklet.

You answered something that I'd wondered about ... the fact that prisoners were taken and returned after the War while others weren't so 'lucky'. Thank you.

May you have a grand New Year and I look forward to reading more about your uncle and the others who were with him.

31/12/2012 22:38:12 Subject: Re:William Day
williamsnephew
Forum Lance Corporal

Eileen wrote:
Mikey and I had a bit of a giggle when we kept being promoted ... but yes, Lance Corporal would suit me just fine. I was never sure about dad's rank - although he and mam had mentioned it - until I re-read his booklet.

You answered something that I'd wondered about ... the fact that prisoners were taken and returned after the War while others weren't so 'lucky'. Thank you.

May you have a grand New Year and I look forward to reading more about your uncle and the others who were with him.

Hello Eileen, yes I have a real concern about being arbitrarily auto-promoted, let us hope the forum administrator may be able to ensure it does not happen.

The real hard work begins now because German POW records will require some use of German and a great many e-mails but all I can do is try.

My Avatar is Maggie, my third rescue dog who was abandoned by travellers near a local shopping mall, left to fend for herself for over a week before being found. She has true Commando grit and, most regrettably, a good few physical and emotional scars of her own. Bless her.

Regards Matthew

31/12/2012 22:55:53 Subject: Re:William Day
Eileen
Forum Sergeant

She's beautiful - and very lucky to have found such a loving home. I'm trying to upload a photo of my dog, Rosie, but no luck as yet. She's 14 and adorable.

That's me away from the computer until 2.30ish am - then I'll raise a glass to you all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2013 13:20:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I don't mind being promoted - It may be the only way to stop that Eileen 'drinking on duty' Maybe I could let her borrow my Avatar for such occasions 8)

Keep a sharp lookout - and - don't tell 'em your name .

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Excuse me young man but I haven't had a 'tipple' since the 30th ... and that was 'do do dodo do do dodo diddly diddly pom pom pom' ... a Crabbies. Didn't have one when I got back in this morning ... I shall make up for it later though. :)

Don't worry about the rankings ... but I did enjoy my fleeting time as Lance Corporal. Whatever you decide is fine by me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2013 14:22:49

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Well - I think you should be made a lance-jack as a field award . :D Love the picture of the memorial - one day i'll get up there and pay my respects - lots of pictures will be taken .

OK have a quick luchtime vino (or whatever) with the sarges blessing

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've been going up to the Memorial since I was very young - was there in November for the Remembrance Day service - quite a few of us Commando Kids are going again this year - try to get up there if you can.

Now then, this here thread's about avatars so I'd best not go 'off topic' ) I wonder what's next for us, Mikey? Race you to Forum Brigadier ... or whatever. :)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
williamsnephew
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Due to the concerns expressed by two members about Avatar rankings I have brought this to the attention of the Administrators and other Moderators of this group for consideration. If others have similar concerns please add them below. The messages below are transferred from the original where it had gone slightly off topic I have left the bit about the dogs in :)

31/12/2012 22:21:32 Subject: Re:William Day
williamsnephew
Forum Lance Corporal

Eileen wrote:
I've found this topic fascinating - so glad that you've found so much out about your uncle.

I've been promoted to Sergeant but I, too, would like to go back to being a Lance Corporal ... if possible ... that's what rank my dad held.

Hello, I have asked whether any mechanism exists for the forum rank to be amended and permanent set at Lance Corporal in both our instances, fingers crossed 'eh?

Very best wishes for 2013.

Regards, Matthew

31/12/2012 22:31:31 Subject: Re:William Day
Eileen
Forum Sergeant

31/12/2012 22:38:12 Subject: Re:William Day
williamsnephew
Forum Lance Corporal

Eileen wrote:

Hello Eileen, yes I have a real concern about being arbitrarily auto-promoted, let us hope the forum administrator may be able to ensure it does not happen.

The real hard work begins now because German POW records will require some use of German and a great many e-mails but all I can do is try.

My Avatar is Maggie, my third rescue dog who was abandoned by travellers near a local shopping mall, left to fend for herself for over a week before being found. She has true Commando grit and, most regrettably, a good few physical and emotional scars of her own. Bless her.

Regards Matthew

31/12/2012 22:55:53 Subject: Re:William Day
Eileen
Forum Sergeant

She's beautiful - and very lucky to have found such a loving home. I'm trying to upload a photo of my dog, Rosie, but no luck as yet. She's 14 and adorable.

That's me away from the computer until 2.30ish am - then I'll raise a glass to you all.

Profound apologies if my request has caused some difficulties: it would be good to retain the rank of Lance Corporal but I appreciate technical issues may prevent this from being so.

Regards, Matthew

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger