commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Recommendations for purchase of FS Knife  XML
Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi there, In the process of gathering together items to be framed with my fathers medals - I have purchased a FS Commando dagger made by William Rodgers. I'm not that happy with it and wonder if anyone has a recommendation for something of better quality - I have looked at Scorpion version - which looks to be a bit better (and a bit more expensive but not OTT) . I know that what i get will be areplica so does anyone have the name of a manufacturer or supplier that i can consider. (i'm prepared to pay up to £200.00)

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike,

PM you regarding some ideas..

Regards Vic
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My personal view is McDonald Armouries makes the best replicas by far. Paul is on here too and is very active in the Commando community!
http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/FairbairnSykes.php

If you upped your budget up a little more you can still pick up reasonable non-Wilkinson original 2nd patterns for around £300

cheers
Paul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/12/2012 10:43:50

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Paul - have just been looking at the Mcdonald knives - very impressive - I'm gonna get a quote to include some personalisation on the blade. Not sure I'd be happy with someone else's F S in the frame (so i think i'll give dad a new one) . As I frame medals and militaria as a retirement 'hobby' i know many folk (collectors mainly) prefer original items but for a personal family record i prefer a replica that can be displayed and dedicated to dad - I don't think he would appreciate someone else's FS.

So - I'm re-equiping our family hero with new kit - and hopefully - monogrammed

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mike,
I'd go with a replica (Paul's recommendation) and as you mentioned in your posting you can include some personalisation on the blade.
You know what you've got and you won't get stung by buying an expensive forgery, there's so many ringers out there, I tend to buy commemorative knifes, can be a bit expensive, but harder to be stung.
Good luck with your display
Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/12/2012 02:59:14

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks all for comments/suggestions - very helpful. SO - I have asked for quotes from mCDonald and Scorpion although i think i prefer the Mac copies (difficult to tell just by a photo) but I'll post the results and tell you which i'm going for. The one piece of information I'm missing is what badge(s) he would have had on his right sleeve (my wartime photos only show the left) - so if anyone can help with that i'd be obliged . To recap he was in No 2 - 4 troop. Whether it's material or not I don't know but when he 'joined' the Commando's direct from the Police, he nominated the essex regiment.

― Albert Camus
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike

Both sleeves would have been the same late 43 onwards: 'red on blue' (although they actually look black) shoulder title (for some reason in 2 Cdo they always seemed to cut the word 'No.' off, I don't know why) above a round combined ops badge, which as Nic pointed out in your other post came in sided pairs, ie they tommy gun should always face the front.

Cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
bootiegreg
Forum Member

Mike,

I have in the last two days, taken delivery of a MacDonald Armouries 1st pattern FS dagger. To say I'm over joyed is a massive understatement. The workmanship and attention to detail is amazing and I absolutely love it. Crafted just as the originals were - by hand!

I'm not familiar with the scorpion maker however, it looks to me like they only do 3rd patterns.

Suppose it also comes down to what type of dagger your father was issued; if that is known.

Good luck in what ever you choose, but you really wouldn't be disappointed with one from MacDonald Armouries.

Greg.
bootiegreg
Forum Member

And in another note; on looking at the scorpion website; I personally don't like their wasp style handles. As far as I am aware, this style of handle was never produced. For me, this would detract too much from the originals. Im in the early stages of collecting FS daggers and would never myself buy one from scorpion based on their website and lack of attention to detail.

If a third pattern is what you would like, Nowill & Sons still produce MoD spec fs daggers with MoD broad arrow stamp. I had one issued to me for Afghan and is now framed up. You can get them from good army surplus type shops ie. http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=1007

Much cheaper than Scorpion and is from an actual commando issue dagger. Downside is they can't etch blades.

Just my 10p worth.
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cheers for that Bootiegreg - latest from me - Just ordered from Macdonalds a 1st pattern (maynot be historically accurate for dad, but - he deserves thebest) . So Its a 1st pattern Nickel plated with scroll engraving as follows

L/Cpl E A G Cant (PC) - No.2 Commando - 4 Troop

The (PC) was his nickname in the troop!! he was a pc in essex police.

It will be several months (6) before i get delivery but i'm sure it will be worth the wait.

The Knife will be included in a frame with his medals and some other patches - so far I have a 2 shoulder patches a combined ops patch (2 of these L & R) and photo.

If anyone can think of anything else that should/could be included please please post a note here.

― Albert Camus
bootiegreg
Forum Member

If you know when your father went through Commando training, you could ascertain what type of dagger he was issued.

Forum Index » Collectors and Memorabilia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger