commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Identify an arm badge  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi there - I'm trying to locate badges etc for completing a frame for my fathers medals/memorabilia - can anyone identify what arm badge he is wearing in the photograph depicted here

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/4+troop/cant/

No 2 commando - i have the no 2 arm badge (top one) and have located a replica dagger - now i'd like to find the circular badge but its so unclear on the photo - can anyone help with identity of this badge

Thanks mike

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike,

That is the Combined Operations badge.

They were paired (one on each arm) and the Tommy gun always faced forward.

Combined Operations Headquarters Club notice board on the 11th of March 1943 wrote:Method of wearing: The badge will be cut to form a circle 2.5ins in diameter and will be worn with the muzzle of the Tommy gun pointing forward at the top of both sleeves of the Service Dress tunic and Battledress blouse. The top of the badge will be positioned one inch below the shoulder strap seam.

For more informationon the badge please see this link to the Combined Ops website:
http://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20HISTORY2.htm

nick
[Thumb - large.jpg]
 Filename large.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  433 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/12/2012 22:59:39

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nic - Thank you so much for a very quick reply. I should be able to locate one from that info. Ill post a pic of the frame when completed .

Once again

thanks
Mike

?Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.?
― Albert Camus
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good originals are easy to come by, the embroidered version more so than the earlier printed version. You should expect to pay £50-£70 each although I've seen 'matched pairs' up to £200. You can buy reasonable reproductions for under a tenner. If paying for an original though, make sure you are buying an original, there are lots of fakes on the market being passed off as original, particularly on ebay.

The 2 Commando shoulder title worn above it in the picture is a different proposition, originals are extremely hard to find, I've been looking for one for 4 years!

I can PM you some suggested dealers if you like?

Good luck
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
mikeysaling
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Belly - yes please - a list of possible sources would be very helpful. I wonder , with the No 2 shoulder patch, how would you be able to tell an original - any tips on that ?

― Albert Camus
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Mike

Shoulder titles are a minefield, you basically have to look at a lot and handle a lot to get to know what to look for, as there are many different types. Whilst they were standardised in 1943 there are still variations in maker and construction. The insignia galleries on here are a great start to studying them, similarly browse the galleries on the British and Commonwealth Badge Forum:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php

Many of the 'best collectors' you will find both on there and on here

I'll send you a PM with some examples and dealers

cheers
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
barry wales
Forum Member

The combined ops badges were not always cut in to a circle. It may have depended on the individual or the unit. I have my fathers original combined ops. badges (12 cdo) and they were sewn on as supplied.I noticed in the film Cockleshell Heroes last week the Royal Marines wore their combined ops. badges the same, uncut. I'm sure when that film was made that the huge amount of technical/ historical advice available would have picked this up if it was not known about.
Regards,
Barry Wales
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

barry wales wrote:The combined ops badges were not always cut in to a circle.

The official mandate was to cut them in a circle 2.5 in diameter. However, the Commandos were not as regimented as some of the formed units in the British Army and it's true that each Commando was individual and had it's own take on things.
The Commandos were not supposed to have a unit cap badge but No2 chose to have it's own.
Similarly, a number of Commandos had their own formation badges (see my avatar for No5 Cdo's).

I guess that if the CO was a bit of an independant thinker then there was a chance that he'd want his Commando to be even more 'individual' than the others...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger