commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cpl Ron Evans, 5 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Richthegasman
Forum Member

Hi all,
i am the grandson of Cpl Ron Evans, of 5 Commando. I have his service record, and his medals, and know he fought in Madagasca and Burma, and i have a few photo's of him in India (Which i will upload as soon as i have scanned them).
I was just wondering if anyone has any documents or information as to which troop my Grandad was in? I cannot find this anywhere, and would appreciate any help on this matter.

Rich
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Rich,
Welcome to the CVA.
Your question regarding which Troop your grandfather served in is not easy to answer - there are no records as to which troop individuals served in presumably because it was reasonably common to move between troops for a number of reasons (eg promotion, replace casualties etc).

As far as No5 Cdo is concerned, 5 Troop, having suffered great losses during 1944, was disbanded and absorbed into other troops within No5...

I have been compiling a Nominal Roll of No5 Cdo and your grandfather is already listed there but please have a look through the No5 Cdo Album in the Gallery and see if you can identify him in any of the photos.
Obviously we'd be proud to upload any photos you are willing to share with us and, maybe, we will be able, by a process of identification & elimination, work out which troop he was in.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/

I can forward you some documents which will give you a better idea of some of what your grandfather endured out in India & Burma.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/12/2012 12:34:37

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Rich,

My late granddad George was also in No 5 Commando at the end of his service. Compare George's service record with Ron's and let us know if you see any similarities or differences, no matter how trivial you might think.

George's record is here http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3563.page . I shared it to provide another small piece of the Commando story.

I look forward to seeing Ron's photos, to get a glimmer of what life was like for those men, and like other No 5 Commando relatives, I have the hope of spotting my relative. Your photos might make somebody very happy, as I was when I found my granddad on this 5 Commando picture

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/India+or+Burma+2.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1 kindly posted by Paul Gordon. George was certainly surprised when I showed it to him in Jan this year.

Maybe Ron is there ?

Thanks and good luck.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger