commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Flag presented to No 4 Commando by the inhabitants of Flushing  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I was going through CVA posts and found this - "11 August 1945 FLUSHING: Flushing Ceremony. The people of Flushing showed their appreciation of the part played by this unit in liberating their town by presenting a flag to detachment of 4 Officers and 40 ORs at BRUGES".

Does anyone know what this flag looked like or where it is?

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
mike beckett
Forum Member

Hello Bill

The actual flag is held in the archive of the Imperial War Museum (IWM), and is the flag of the City of Flushing

There is no image but the IWM description is as follows

Item/Catalogue Reference: FLA 186

Historical Note: Presented by the City of Flushing to No. 4 Commando on liberation of that City, 1st November 1944.

General Length: 321cm
General Width: 244cm

The following link relates:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30016419

I hope this is useful

Regards
Mike Beckett

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Many thanks Mike. I will let my Dutch friends know about this.

Best wishes. Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
mike beckett
Forum Member

Bill

You will see the IWM give a presentation date of 1st November 1944, this does not tie in with your date of 11 August 1845. The actual assault of Flushing was made on 1st November 1944, (see Jimmy Dunning 'The Fighting Fourth' - page 184 etc) Jimmy Dunning recalls Civic parades in Flushing and Dieppe during August 1945 (ibid p.198) after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (6 and 9 August respectively) - it is likely the presentation took part then.

On 31 May 1952 - a large party of No4 Commando veterans attended the unveiling of a striking monument at Flushing - no doubt there are images on our CVA Site.

A further 'Souvenir' flag made locally (after VE Day 8 May 1945) in Recklinghausen, Germany is pictured on page 196 of Jimmy's book - bearing Free French, Combined Operations and Commando trained Soldier insignia, with battle honours awarded to No.4 Commando.

Regards
Mike Beckett
mike beckett
Forum Member

Bill
i just saw that your father was Killed on 1 November 1944 at Flushing - you will know a great deal more about the action than me - please excuse my attempts at 'clarification'. Nevertheless I hope others my find it of interest.
The page reference to civic ceremonies in Flushing and Dieppe obscured by a smiley face in the posting above should read page 198
Regards
Mike
mike beckett
Forum Member

Ooops ... just noticed I typed a date of 11 August 1845 instead of 11 August 1945 in my message of 6/12/2012 23.22hrs ... sorry for any confusion
Mike
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mike

Many thanks for all your help. I have passed this onto relatives of No 4 and my Dutch friends.

My Dad was indeed KIA in Flushing. i have the intellegence report if you would like a copy.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
mike beckett
Forum Member

Bill

Very many thanks for your exceptionally kind offer - PM sent.

If I can be of any more assistance please do not hesitate to contact me

Regards
Mike
John Martin
Forum Member

The British Government provided a WW2 destroyer - HMS Opportune - to take 150 former members of 4 Cdo from Dover to Flushing for the unveiling of the Commando memorial in 1952. My late uncle was one of them.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John

Many thanks for that I have passed it on to my Dutch friends in Flushing.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger