commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Garfield Grieve* No 3 Commando KIA Termoli 5 October 1943  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Email from John McLeod:

I was never in the army, but I knew Garfield Grieve well - very well, because we shared the same double desk in Standard 5 at St Aidans C.E. Elementary School in Mill Hill, Blackburn.

I was an overweight ten - or maybe eleven year old, my mother was a seamstress and dressmaker whose father bought her a small draper's shop, so was busy with funeral orders in 1917-8. Garfield lived in Goit Street, the nearest we had in Mill Hill to a slum.

I tended to get bullied, and Garfield =was my 'Keeper'. I went on to Grammar Sschool, but Garfield didn't. I lost touch with him, but heard that he was in the landing force in Normandy on D-Day.

It was only when I was checking out just how good Google is, that I decided to put in a search for Garfield Grieves. Within minutes, I found his record, buried - and so presumably killed - in Italy.

The news didn't surprise me. He didn't exactly save my life, but certainly fielded off a couple of elementary school bullies.

He was a great guy.

John McLeod, SO.M., Ph.D., etc. (Aged 87).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/01/2013 16:06:16

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In Memory of 3972169 Trooper Garfield Grieve
Welch Regiment and No.3 Commando
who died on the 5th October 1943 aged 21
Remembered with honour at Sangro River War Cemetery

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you to Dr John Mcleod for that touching story - I'm sure that Vincent Grieve, Garfield's great nephew will be grateful.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1548.page

When Shall Their Glory Fade...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
DGrieve13
Forum Member

Hi.

I am the great niece to Garfield Grieve, granddaughter of his brother Gordon. I am researching my family tree and came across this.....thank you so much for sharing it made my day :)

p.s. he has a nephew and great nephew named after him!

Dawn Grieve

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Dawn

I am so glad you found this information. If you or any member of the Family has a photo of Private Garfield Grieve please consider scanning it and adding it to this forum message. Any issues in doing so please just email me below.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
DGrieve13
Forum Member

I have some old pictures but I think they are of his brother Gordon, my Grandad. I have just discovered that my Grandmother Mary Grieve is still alive and I am planning on contacting her for a visit and I am hoping she will have some pictures of my Great Uncle Garfield. As soon as I do I will be sure to post 😊
DGrieve13
Forum Member

as promised I managed to get some pics of my Great Uncle Garfield.

Kind Regards

Dawn Devine
[Thumb - Garfield Grieve.jpg]
 Filename Garfield Grieve.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 307 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  415 time(s)

[Thumb - Garfield Grieve on right.jpg]
 Filename Garfield Grieve on right.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 327 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  393 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/01/2019 19:27:26

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Dawn. I have updated our archive entry for Private Grieve which can be viewed here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/GarfieldGrieve3Commando

and will add them to the No. 3 Commando gallery as well.

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger