commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Please help finding information on with my grandfather - George Ferguson  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
bigbuzz
Forum Member

I am looking to find any information about my Grandfather George Ferguson who served in the Royal Marine Commandos.

The only information I have is as follows -

DoB - 16/04/1915
Rank - Sergeant

Apparently he served in Holland at one time and said "Flat as a pancake". He confirmed he trained at Achnachary.

He was good friends with Peter Workman who came from Graves End in Kent. He often talked about a Dusty Miller, although full name is unknown.

Can anyone give me a regiment etc so I can look through the thousands of photos to try and find him ?

Any help with this would beobviously be extremely appreciated.

Mark Paterson (grandson).
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

We have no single list of all those who served in the Army or Royal Marine Commandos in WW2.

Have you checked the extended family members to see if they have any items such as letters, photos, documents, etc., that your Grandfather may have kept. Did he join any associations post war, attend any reunions. Was he a member of his local branch of the Royal Marines Association or perhaps his local British Legion. These small bits of information often reveal a great deal. Whilst you are doing this, you should apply for a copy of his service record. More information will be disclosed if the immediate next of kin applies. How to do so can be found here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/FurtherInformationAboutServiceRecordsHeldByMod.htm

As far as the gallery photos we have as you say he was in the RM Commandos and a Sergeant, then you have already made your task easier. There were different units in Holland at various times, but have a good look through the 41, 47, and 48 RM Commando albums as a starter:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/

Feel free to post any additional information that you may find.

regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bigbuzz
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply and help.

Unfortuntaley my Grandad did not join any associations or such - would have made our job easier !

I have found a handful of pictures including a "RM" badge - I hope you may be able to recognise something and help me further.

On your recommendation I will contact the MOD to see if hey can help me further. Do you know if the £30 admin fee applies if my Mother applies for the infor - she is the Next of Kin.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.
[Thumb - George Ferguson 1944.jpg]
 Filename George Ferguson 1944.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 1944 - Photo at his wedding - according to Marriage Cert. he was a Corporal in the Royal Marines (now engaged in War Service)
 Filesize 108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  290 time(s)

[Thumb - George Ferguson 1945.jpg]
 Filename George Ferguson 1945.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 1945 - My mother is in this photo (cut), on Birth Cert. again it states Sergeant in the Royal Marines
 Filesize 99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  291 time(s)

[Thumb - George Ferguson 1943.jpg]
 Filename George Ferguson 1943.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  266 time(s)

bigbuzz
Forum Member

Here is the "RM" badge we found -
[Thumb - 20121125_180335.jpg]
 Filename 20121125_180335.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 89 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  292 time(s)

[Thumb - 20121125_180327.jpg]
 Filename 20121125_180327.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  293 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

Do you know if the £30 admin fee applies if my Mother applies for the infor - she is the Next of Kin.
The answer is yes the fee would still apply. The exemption would only apply to a surviving widow or widower.

Once you get the record feel free to post sections here if you have difficulty deciphering them, or if you wish scan and email the details to me.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger