commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter James ETHERIDGE  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

I'm looking for any information regarding the service of my late godfather.

His date of enlistment in the Royal Marines is given in his Service Record as 1st February 1944 (aged 18)

Service Number : CH/X115103

He certainly saw service overseas during the war with 40 Cdo in March 1945 in Italy (Naples) and then in Hong Kong with 45 Cdo in January 1946. He also mentioned that he had been in Holland during November 1944 but that doesn't appear to be confirmed by the entries in his Service Record.

I would be very grateful to receive any information other members may have.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2012 18:41:00

Godson of Cpl Peter James ETHERIDGE
CH/X115103
40 Cdo and 45 Cdo 1944-47

Nephew currently serving with Lima Coy 42 Cdo
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

I have noted the other forum message you posted here : http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3677.page#12900
and have added there the link to this message for all updates otherwise there will be duplication

I have a note of Corporal P.J. Everidge, same service number and same RM Commando units, as at some stage post war being a member of the original Commando Association which stood down in 2005. There are no other details.

RM Commando service records quite often show minimal detail about movement which can be very frustrating. Study what you have carefully as sometimes small clues can be found. 22nd Training Group is mentioned here:

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/The%20Units%20of%20The%20Royal%20Marines.htm

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/11/2012 16:11:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

Hi Pete - many thanks.

The mis-spelling of his surname in the original Commando Association records is a common one - correct spelling is ETHERIDGE.

He was promoted Corporal on 24 October 1945 whilst serving with 45 Cdo. having completed NCO's course No.32 in February 1945.

Peter died on 24th January 1987 and is survived by his widow Eileen, a son and two daughters.

I will have a closer look at his Service Record and the link you have kindly given re. 22nd Training Group as I would like to establish the Walchern link if possible. I wish I could recall the name of the troop commander whose grave we visited in Bergen op Zoom Cemetery. What does stick in my mind was that he was aged 21. I'm sure there can't be that many casulaties of that age with the rank of Major.

Kind regards

Nick

CH/X115103

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Actually the spelling mistake was my own. It is on the list as you spelt it.

As regards the 21year old at Bergen op Zoom we have a gallery of the graves there. http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/bergen+op+zoom/

Here are a couple :

Captain Peter Haydon DSO aged 21 from 41RM Commando:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/bergen+op+zoom/41rm/haydon+dso+41rm.jpg.html

This Major is 25:
Major Derek De Stacpoole 48RM Commando:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/bergen+op+zoom/48+rm/de+stackpoole++dr+48rm.jpg.html

This Major has no age shown :
Major Paddy Brind-Sheridan 41 RM Commando:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/War+graves+Holland/bergen+op+zoom/41rm/brind-sheridan++pk+41rm.jpg.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/07/2018 09:55:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the links to the Bergen Op Zoom gallery.

I don't think we took any photographs when we were there many years ago but I will have a sift through as there is just a chance that we took a photograph of the headstone. As I have said, all I have is a vague recollection that the man was aged 21 but I have to say Captain Haydon's name doesn't ring any particular bells.

A couple of questions if I may :

1) Would a wartime Company have been typically commanded by a Major or a Captain ?
2) Was there a minimum official age for service overseas ?

If they would be of interest to others, I will try to post copies of the revelvant pages from PJE's service record when I get back from Scotland on Sunday.

Regards

Nick

CH/X115103

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nick,

Welcome.

If they would be of interest to others, I will try to post copies of the revelvant pages from PJE's service record when I get back from Scotland on Sunday.

Yes please,they are interesting in themselves as well as a tribute to Peter. Also the more records that are public, the better we can spot patterns and commonalities

My grandfather was also in HongKong in Jan. 1946 although in 5 Commando. A slim chance that perhaps they met.

He also mentioned that he had been in Holland during November 1944 but that doesn't appear to be confirmed by the entries in his Service Record.

My grandad's RM record is sparse, as Pete said study them and perhaps you might spot more.

Nick, if you haven't seen them, have a look at my granddad's records.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3577.page
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3563.page

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

As regards your 2 questions, normally it would be a Captain that led a specific troop of Commandos, however I have seen reports where a Major has been with a particular troop during an action. The age is a difficult one because people often lied about their ages. However I have found this information from the BBC WW2 People's War website http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/timeline/factfiles/nonflash/a1138664.shtml:

The Emergency Powers (Defence Act) of August 1938 had empowered the British government to take certain measures in defence of the nation and to maintain public order. The Defence Act contained around 100 measures aimed at calling up military reservists and Air Raid Precautions (ARP) volunteers for mobilisation. It's estimated that about half a million people also volunteered to join the ARP, the Territorial Army (TA) and the RAF Volunteer Reserve. But volunteers were not enough. The Military Training Act of 27 April 1939 responded to Hitler's threat of aggression in Europe. All British men aged 20 and 21 who were fit and able were required to take six months' military training. Even so, when war broke out the British Army could muster only 897,000 men, compared to France's five million. Another act of parliament was necessary to increase the numbers. The National Service (Armed Forces) Act made all able men between the ages of 18 and 41 liable for conscription; as part of the legislation it was decided that single men would be called to war before married men. Men aged 20 to 23 were required to register on 21 October 1939 - the start of a long and drawn-out process of registration by age group, which only saw 40-year-olds registering in June 1941. By the end of 1939 more than 1.5 million men had been conscripted to join the British armed forces. Of those, just over 1.1 million went to the British Army and the rest were split between the Royal Navy and the RAF.

Do you have a photo of Peter Etheridge?

Regards

Pete

[Email]
Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

Pete/Mark,

Thank you both for your replies.

I have now scanned some of the more interesting pages from Peter's Service Record. These first two are headed Volunteer "Y" Scheme.

Evidently he was a little confused over his date of birth !!

I will also post a couple of pages from Form R.23 and the pages that appear to list his various unit attachments.

Kind regards

Nick
 Filename PJE 4.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 431 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  680 time(s)

Filename PJE 5.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 363 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  340 time(s)

CH/X115103

Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

These are two pages from PJE's Form 23.

Sorry but I can't seem to re-orientate the second page.

Nick
 Filename PJE 6.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 418 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  346 time(s)

Filename PJE 7.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 436 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  272 time(s)

CH/X115103

Nick Yeomans
Forum Member

.......and these three pages list his various unit attachments etc.

I am still puzzled by the fact that these pages clearly indicate that he was attached to 22nd RM Training Battalion in November 1944 whereas the only "certainty" I thought I knew regarding his wartime service was the landing at Walcheren. Is there any record of these young marines (all evidently under 19 years of age) having been pulled out of training to serve overseas ?

Pete,

I will try to find a wartime photo of Peter and will post that too if I have any joy.

Mark,

By coincidence I was with a good friend at the weekend whose father served with 5 Commando during WW2. I will try to encourage him to post some details.

Regards

Nick
 Filename PJE 2.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 572 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  699 time(s)

Filename PJE 3.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  343 time(s)

Filename PJE 1.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 488 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  302 time(s)

CH/X115103

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger