commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando: Winning World War II Behind Enemy Lines by James Owen  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Interesting article, clearly some divided opinions:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229576/Did-Britains-Commando-heroes-die-vain-Their-daring-raids-drove-Hitler-order-shot-sight-new-book-argues-soldiers-died-hundreds-did-little-change-course-war.html

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It's an article in the Daily Mail. I think that we would have to read the book before making comments.

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes, I should point out, I don't read the Daily Mail, a friend alerted me to the article!

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
B Wraith
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My post was not directed at you, sorry if it reads that way.
It was good of you to post the link to what is potentially a good read. Its just that it's difficult to know if the journalist is just trying to stir things up.
I think that it is now possible to look at some of the Commando operations with a critical eye without necessarily criticising the men themselves.
One of the items of equipment that I cannot get my head around is the push bike. That might have been a great piece of kit at Hove but when you see them coming off the landing craft on the Normandy beaches I am not so sure that it was such a good idea. :shock:

Son of 4687570 Sgt William (Bill) Wraith MM; N°6 Commando N°2 Troop
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

No offence taken whatsoever! I assumed you were taking a swipe at the papers usual tactic of trying to infuriate it's 'readers'?

I agree, in hindsight there were some strange decisions made at high levels, and not every raid was a roaring success, but their contribution to the war and lets face it to the modern soldier that still trains using methods pioneered by this exemplary band of men, can never be underestimated.

But that's my view and we're all entitled to air our opinions thanks to democracy and freedom of speech. Remind me again who we have to thank for our freedom?! :wink:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/11/2012 21:28:50

[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I agree with what you say Brian. I found the actual article emotive in the way it was worded, and that is the journalist rather than the author. However the author I know had been researching his book in some detail and had been in touch with the CVA and others. I would be amazed if there is anything in there that criticises the men who took part in the operations. The planning and success, or otherwise, of operations, has, is, and always will be, be a matter of debate involving differing views. The subject of reluctance by certain senior military figures to accept the new Commandos is well known, and obvious when you read certain National Archive records about operations. It is almost as if they were hoping they would fail. So we''ll have to await reviews of the book itself by someone other than this journalist .

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/11/2012 21:31:12

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

If I remember correctly, the bicycles were use by the Commandos to reach Pegasus Bridge as quickly as possible to relieve the Paras.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have a copy of this book now. The book consists of chapters each dedicated to a specific operation/raid. I have read 4 chapters which included Operations Archery, Musketoon, Chariot, and I wanted to place my early opinion here to counter the impression given by the review in the Daily Mail. I have found the content very good. I have also discussed this book with someone very closely connected with two of the raids, and who has read the book in full. I am pleased to say we both agree on the content being good and, certainly in the case of the chapters I have read so far, factual. The reader should appreciate that the book is aimed very much at the general public. However having read the National Archives files on Operation Musketoon, I recognise the research the author has done in his account of the raid. So back to reading the rest now.

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good to know, Pete. Glad we weren't misled by Jamie. What a shame the reporter had to print that review just before Remembrance Day.

- Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A number of us met Jamie Owen when he spent a couple of days with us at a Fort William Remembrance Service Weekend during the early days of his research into the Commandos.

I, for one, was impressed with his interest of the subject and his keeness for accuracy (and that he bought me a beer!) and have been waiting eagerly for his book to be published.

It is on my Christmas Wish List and I look forward to receiving and reading it.

Having read Pete's review of the book so far, I'm sure I won't be disappointed - I'll let you know...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nice to know Pete.

I'll get a copy then!

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just got the book . well im impressed with it .. very honest and well researched.Good to see Pete ,Geofff ,Scotty and Billy Moore mentioned in the Acknowledgements, That Daily Mail bloke needs sorting out

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to mention that I have had some good feedback from those who have read this book and who, like myself, found it a very good and informative account. So add it to your Xmas lists !

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

James Owen's book is now available in a paperback version. If you haven't read it yet, well worth doing so:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commando-Winning-World-Behind-Enemy/dp/0349123624/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375775401&sr=1-1

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I've just seen this thread. I enjoyed the book, would have read it anyway, but bought it quicker because of the article. I thought it was very much 'for' our lads.

The bit above where it's thought that some were hoping the Commandos would, somehow, fail ... I remember my parents talking about Normandy. I'd asked Dad if he was ever scared (I was very young) and he, as usual, just gave a shrug - my Mam said 'You didn't like the mortars, did you, George?' and Dad sort of, well, shrugged again :) and agreed. They then told me that he'd spent a very long time there before returning home ... I must have thought it was another 'hit and get out' raid.

My Mam then said something that stuck with me. She reckoned (Dad just shrugged again) that the powers that be were thinking that there wouldn't be many of them left and that they were to just plough on as best they could and knock out as many Germans as possible. Then Lord Lovat stepped in and demanded that they be used in a more appropriate way. I think I've read that last bit too.

They did their 'job' amazingly well, but whilst Dad was very proud (afterwards) that they'd held the line for so long ... I think he'd have preferred not to have been 'stuck in a hole' with those bloomin' mortars flying around. I don't think he returned to those beaches but I may be wrong.

Excuse my 'wanderings' .... buy the book if you haven't already done so. It's good! :)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger