commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
My Grandad. Colin Hughes- Information and any photos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Lioncurlz
Forum Member

Hi I was hoping somone might be able to help.
My Grandad Colin Hughes was a Commando in WWII. I'm trying to get some additional information for myself and because I want to go into my sons' school to talk about him.
He used to subscribe to the magazine that used to come form this organisation as I used to read it as a kid.
I tought he was in No. 3 Commando. I know he went on the Lofoten raids as he used to recall an amusing story about that. I know he was on D-Day and talked about a situation with a bridge and a newsreporter asking him to run over the bridge for a photo! (I thought there was mention of Lord Lovat here!)
I know he was in some docks in Holland towards the end of the war as one of his best friends was shot, by a sniper, next to him.

I would like to confirm what Commando unit he was in and find out more about where he would have travelled and if there are any photos of him.
He was very proud, as are we, of what he and his friends did. I feel I owe it to him to find out more so I can tell a complete story to my Grandchildren one day.
I will be wearing his medals for him this Sunday, as I do every year, as he requested that I do so on his death bed many years ago.

Thanks. Robert
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

Whilst there is no one list of all who served in the Commandos, I can tell you that there were many Commandos with the surname Hughes. Did your Grandfather have a middle name, do you know what Regiment he was attached to prior to the Commandos, and do you have his service number, and which area did he reside in post war? If you let me know the answers to these I will make some more enqs. on your behalf. One of the questions I will be asked is whether or not his widow, your Grandmother, is still alive, so would you please let me know this as well.

The Association he was a member of would have been the original Commando Association which stood down in 2005. Our Association began as a result. Feel free to post a picture here if you have one, or contact me by email should you wish. There may be a delay in any response due to the forthcoming events at the weekend.

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

No 3 Army Commando were not in Holland. Does he have any middle names? I will do a trace of No 4 Army Commando.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Lioncurlz
Forum Member

Thanks Pete and Bill.
I will try and answer your questions.
His middle name was J something.
He was originally in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
He continued to live in Warwick, in Cubbington nr Leamington Spa.
Unfortunatly, although my Grannie(she was Scottish hence the spelling) survived him, she died 6 yrs ago.

I took my kids (4 & 7) to our local Rememberance parade and they were very proud to be representing their Great Grandad and because of the internet I was able to explain all his medals and what the ribbons meant.

Thank-you for your help
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Robert

I think your Grandad was at Dieppe with No 4 Army Commando.

5111985 Sig. Hughes C.J. R. Warwicks.

This is recorded on the Dieppe list I have. My Dad was there but was killed in action in Flushing. My Dad served at Lofoton, Boulongne, Dieppe, D Day and Flushing with No 4.

What was the story from Lofoton? Flushing was a harbour town with docks and snipers can you remember the name of his friend as I have the roll of honour from Flushing.

Pete may be able to help too.

Both of us have just returned from the service at Spean Bridge on Sunday.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

As Bill harvey says above:

There was a Signaller C.J. Hughes, Royal Warwickshire Regiment attached to No.4 Commando, service number 5111985, who was on the Dieppe Raid. See this list on our forum:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/935.page#3847

It is almost certainly him, but I will make a final check with the additional details you supplied and get back to you. Once I do you can apply for copy of his service record. If the nearest next of kin applies they will get more information. Check out here how to apply:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/FurtherInformationAboutServiceRecordsHeldByMod.htm

I recommend you check through our Veterans and other photo albums for No.4 Cdo which can be found here :

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/

I also recommend you and Bill get in contact regarding your proposed school presentation. He has done presentations about No.4 Commando, and may be able to help you with some information

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/11/2012 00:59:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

If it confirms that this is your Grandad then I have a background which I can send you on No 4 Commando for the school talk.

You say that your Grannie was Scots where did she come from?

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Lioncurlz
Forum Member

Thanks again Bill and Pete.
Having read about no. 4 Commando I'm very sure that this is my Grandad and I know he talked about the signals as he seemed to attribute this role to saving his life on D-day (he was in a differert landing craft?).
I will check it out.
Bill can you send me any info for the school talk. I told my son I was going to do this and now he wants me in his class, yesterday!! Any help will be appreciated. [email protected]
My Grannie was from Prestwick and ended up in Ayr, which is odd, and where my Mum was born. I looked at the photo of the whole of the No.4 and my Grandad had a painting of that Manor House. He had been given it by someone and he talked about it alot, he said that's where they were trained?
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Robert

Sending tonight some No 4 Commando information. No 4 were billetted in Troon that is how my Dad met Mum.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Robert

Information emailed confirm when you get it.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger