commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pt Frank Thomas HAMBLING  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
michael6615
Forum Member

Hello Everybody,

I am searching for any information on Private Frank Thomas HAMBLING, Service No. 5829961, Frank enlisted in the
Sufflok Regiment on Feb 15th 1940 and was then posted to a special service unit in Nov 1941, he then went to 4 commando
in Dec 1941.

He was discharged on Dec 31st 1942 as " permanently unfit for any form of military service ".

I am trying to establish what company in 4 commando he was in, what raid he was on, and what wounds he sustained.

If any of his pals are still with us I would be pleased if they would get in touch.

Mike Wooldridge

Yelverton Norfolk.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2013 00:02:30

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Mike

Afraid I cannot help. He does not appear on the Dieppe list of No4 but that was completed in 1990 and may not have included everyone that was there. It was from the memories of No4 Commando.

Sadly there are not too many No4 still with us but I will check with them.

Best wishes on your search.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mike , it does not help you with your questions, but for the record L/Cpl F.T. Hambling of No.4 Commando is mentioned on Lost Legion 5 of September 1974 which is one of the lists of those that the original Commando Association had lost contact with:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/nominal+rolls/CA+Lost+legions/

What is your connection with L/Cpl Hambling?

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2013 00:02:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
michael6615
Forum Member

Pete,

Thank you for the info, I willl try to find the Lost Legion 5 Sept 1974 record ( I am new to this site )

As for my connection, I am the Archivist for the Alpington & Yelverton History Society in Norfolk, A local resident ( His Daughter ) has
asked me if I could find out how he was wounded and what raids he was on.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mike

To find the Lost Legion 5 document I mentioned just click on the link in blue on my above posting and follow the instructions. With regard to his daughter, she appears to have some information that might suggest she already has applied for and received a copy of his Army Service Record. This would be the obvious recommendation for her should she not have that. Can you confirm whether she has applied for a copy.

A more general record on the formation and history of No.4 Commando can be found in this excellent book - The Fighting Fourth by Major James Dunning.

There is a lot of information in there which will give an insight into the training and raids of No.4 Commando. Not all went on every raid. As to what specific raids he went on, I cannot be sure, and I think she will find that a difficult one to receive a definitive answer on. As to his injury and discharge from the service, the Service Record may give clues that could help that might not be obvious at first.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger